What day is it?


I had to create a home office for Matt.  
He was driving me crazy.  I came downstairs a few days ago following my morning ab challenge workout and had great hopes of brewing a fresh cup of coffee to sip on while grabbing a bite to eat.  Instead of being met with the joys of the smell of the beans in the grinder, I got a stern look of disappointment from my husband.  He was on a work call and all use of the kitchen whilst he is in a meeting is banned.
He started working from home around March 5.  He originally set up camp at the dining room table but he likes to change up his workspace from the table to the kitchen bar to the living room throughout the day.  I get it!  He is used to a busy workplace, never sitting still for long.  This new normal for him has meant sitting in virtual meetings all. the. livelong. day.  
I need to say that we are incredibly blessed that Matt has a job that is still humming along even in these incredibly difficult times. We are doubly blessed that he gets to work from home.  And we are triply blessed that we have a home big enough that we can spread out, each finding their own space.
Unfortunately, the dining room table is just too centrally located for his workspace.  We can't eat, clean up, do dishes, play with the dog, or speak when he is on calls.  I mentioned a few times that maybe it is time for us to create an office space for him.  He was hesitant, and I didn't understand why.  Maybe he just doesn't want to be locked up in a room all alone?  Finally, after a tense moment when he glared at me for trying to get a glass of water from the sink, I decided I needed to pursue this office situation. Turns out he was clinging to the idea that the work from home situation was temporary.  I feel confident that he is looking at another month of telecommuting.  Schools are closed until at least April 27, I can't imagine businesses opening up much before that.  So, with his blessing, I made a nice little workspace in our guest room.  
I brought him up to check out the new space.  I tried to outfit the desk with essentials...though I have never actually seen his desk and have no idea what he does when he is at work.  I assured him that he didn't have to stay up there all day, just when he is on calls.  He plopped down in his chair, looked around and was mostly happy with the setup.  One problem was that the blank wall behind him would make for an ugly background for all those virtual meetings.  We grabbed a few framed pieces from the garage (where we are keeping all the home decor we haven't bothered to put up yet) and slapped them on the wall.  The funny part about the art placement is that it looks absolutely ridiculous in the context of the guest room.  It is all strategically hung to provide a background for the video calls.
Anyway, it is all ready for his first Monday morning meeting.  And I am looking forward to being allowed to make breakfast and coffee when I get up.  I promised I would come visit at the office - there is an extra chair for in-person meetings.

Now, to solve the issues of bleach damage during this continual cleaning spree.  CDC suggests cleaning areas that are touched often (door handles, light switches, faucets, toilet flushers) every few hours.  I like to think that I can manage cleaning the above items without splattering on my clothes but evidence suggests otherwise.  And how in the world do I thoroughly door handles and light switches with a bleach solution and leave it there for 30 seconds without the solution running down my wall and messing up the paint?  I shall solve these problems this week.






Comments

Popular Posts