We've Trained for This

Celebrations cancelled, vacations moved then cancelled, then cancelled again,  plans changing by the day, unsure of what the coming days will hold, overwhelmed by the news - must stop watching the news, getting creative with the items in my pantry and fridge, hanging out with my friends and family via phone calls and video chats, cleaning like my life depends on it, getting creative when all the usual activities can't take place, not being there for people we love in their time of need, crying myself to sleep because I'm afraid that a loved one may not make it home.

This is a summary of some of the challenges that we faced as an ARMY FAMILY.


I can't count the number of times plans have been up in the air or cancelled because of deployments, TDY assignments or pending PCS moves.  I've cleaned more houses to avoid losing my deposit, I've rarely been there for my family to celebrate big events, or provide comfort in the difficult times.  My best friends usually live thousands of miles away.  We had to get creative when the movers packed all of our treasures and we had nothing but a suitcase and a carryon for the 45 days it would take to get moved.

We've trained for this.

We didn't know we were training for a pandemic, but as it turns out, all those years as a military family have prepared us for this moment in history.  We are resilient, we know sorrow and pain, we know ingenuity, we know heartbreak, and we really, really know how to celebrate when we have come out the other side of challenging times.

You may not be lucky enough to be a military family, but my guess is that you too have lived through difficult circumstances that have prepared you for today.  Draw on them, stay home, and wash your hands!! 


Comments

Popular Posts