Oh yah...I have a wife...and kids

Bringing a family back together after an long time a part is much more challenging than the civilian type person can probably imagine.

As I was planning an outfit and grocery shopping for the big homecoming I found it more difficult than it should be to answer the simple question "what does Matt like?"
I don't know. 
I can't remember.
It has been a while since he complimented an outfit I was wearing.  It has been a while since he has seen me in an "outfit".  Its not like the kids are like "hey mom you look cute, I'm going to take a picture of you and send it to dad".  So short of the photos of the boys and I at sporting events this summer...I don't think he has seen an outfit since he left!  
I know some of his favorite snacks, but some things have changed and he likes different things now.  He is trying really hard to live healthier so does that mean no chips?  No Tiramisu? Its so confusing.

We went on our first date (aside from the pants incident) yesterday.  We went to a Sounders game and then out to dinner.  It was great to spend the day together.  We shared stories of the past 6 months.  Tough ones, like the day I had to put our cat to sleep, and fun ones like the day the two A's and I went SUP and saw a ton of dolphins, and driving through Jackson, WY and camping in the rain.  We talked about the future and dreams, we laughed at each other, ran in the rain, and for a moment it would have seemed like there wasn't a gaping whole of 6 missing months in our lives.

And then today Matt left the house for a run without me.  Without me!  OK, so I wasn't home at the time but we talked about running together today.  I had an errand to run and when I got back home he was gone.  It was sunny, chilly and beautiful outside.  The perfect day for a run.  As I walked in the door the boys said "dad just left for a run".  I was pretty irritated.  I put on my running clothes, not willing to let the ditching take away my chance for a good run and headed out.

When I got back Matt said "it stopped raining and was sunny so I went for a run".
I gave him my glare that said "pardon me, no yo intiendo"
About 20 minutes later he came down stairs and said...and I really am quoting him "sorry about leaving you, I forgot I had a wife"
Or maybe I'm not quoting him.  Maybe this is me making up things again...
I think he actually said 'I'm sorry, I'm still getting used to thinking about someone more than myself"

I accepted his apology, but I'm totally going to put a time limit on this very believable excuse.  Like maybe another week.
Then I said "listen for the boys, they are in the back yard playing, I'm getting in the shower"

I get out of the shower and say "where are the boys?"
To which he replies "I don't know they are gone."

Oh ya he was supposed to be paying attention to the boys.

It isn't necessarily about the run or listening for the boys while I was in the shower.  It could be a dozen different stories and likely will be at least a few more.  Its getting used to each other being more present in the other's life.  
It is different, it is new, and we are still working through it all.

Comments

Popular Posts