Matt was off Saturday through Monday and will return to work tomorrow.  He won't be doing his actual job quite yet, he will spend the next few weeks in-processing (fancy word for paperwork, briefs and meetings) and then get back to his unit in November to start to put things back together.

I was prepared for just about anything this past weekend: Matt feeling overwhelmed, the kids' feelings being hurt if Matt didn't want to spend every single moment with them or play, watch or do all the things they wanted him to.  I was prepared for emotional breakdowns, disappointment, and moments of forgetting that our family dynamic has changed.  I was prepared for Matt to be so excited to be back in the land of his electronic toys and tv and high speed internet that he forgets about the 3 humans begging for his time.  I really was prepared for just about everything.

I'm so happy to report that there was none of that.

I did freak out a little when I woke up in bed scantily clad and thought one of the boys had climbed into bed with me.  The horror....then I remembered it was Matt in bed with me and it was perfectly fine that I wasn't wearing long-sleeved footy jams.

Matt has been so gracious with his time.  He has made a conscious effort to balance his own desires with the desires others have for him.  He has battled sleep deprivation and jet-lag to spend more time with us and he hasn't freaked out yet about the boys fighting or doing any of the other annoying things that kids do.

So far the reentry has been smooth, and sweet, and I hope I remember the tender moments that I've witnessed between Matt and the boys forever.

I walked out of the room the other night and found Gabe and Matt sitting on the couch pretty close.  Gabe was laying his head on Matt's shoulder and they were hand in hand..... so precious.
During prayers at night the kids each spent time telling Matt how happy they were for him to be home, how much they missed him, and continue to make lists of things they want to do with him.

As we head in to this week we have soccer games, concerts, birthday parties, and church related events.  There is no time to transition, we are just thrown back into life.  Just like that.  As if nothing has changed and no time has passed and yet so much has.

I've probably never looked forward to getting off work and the weekend as I do right now!  My brain feels like it may explode with all the stories I want to tell, the things I want to do, the questions I have and the plans I want to make with Matt.

There is a lot of smiles and love and laughter in our home.  Busy or not, too little time...doesn't matter.  We are so blessed to have Matt home.

Comments

Allison said…
Again, I think you're one of the most amazing people I know even though I just read the entry about pants and see how crazy you are. We're all crazy.

Popular Posts