A few weeks ago I caught Gabe in one lie right after another.  I was so frustrated with him and his tendency to deny the truth regardless of the evidence presented against him.  I text Matt and told him what was going on.  He suggested Gabe do a little research on liars and theives.
In addition to some other consequences, Gabe was required to look up two stories in the Bible that talk about lying and stealing.  He read the passages, wrote a summary and then answered some questions about the passage and about his own circumstances.  It was a consequence or punishment as he hates writing, and it was also an open door to talk about why he lies, who he is hurting and what lying does to his reputation.

Excellent call Matt!  It proved to be a great way to see what God says about and how he deals with people with the same issues that Gabe is struggling with.

Last week I received an email from Gabe's teacher about some social behavior issues Gabe is having in class.  There were a few disrespectful things he has said or done to his peers but the bigger issue seemed to be that his peers consider him a liar.  He has gained a reputation for denying any accusations that are brought against him, even when others can vouch for the accusations being true.

I was so frustrated with Gabe, just sad that he is willing to hurt others and to be burdened by lies in order to attempt to avoid consequences for his behavior.  Gabe had a good chat with his teacher and actually owned up to some of the accusations, and then he talked with Matt and I at home as well.

The following morning I was getting ready for work and Paul came to my mind.  Paul was Saul, a man who knowingly, willingly killed Christians because he thought their beliefs were wrong.  Saul's story doesn't end there, he turned his life around.  He had a powerful encounter with God on a dusty road and become the person he had spent much of his early years killing.  He became a follower of Christ.  And is wasn't enough to just change his thinking, he hit the road to tell everyone about the gospel.

I thought about how Gabe can stop the lying now, and change his reputation.

Over breakfast that morning I shared Paul's story with Gabe.  He had heard about Paul before, but this  time we were talking about Paul as his story can relate to Gabe's, if Gabe chooses.

Today was conference day for Gabe.  He is doing great academically!  We are so thankful he is in the TAG program and given this opportunity to learn in new ways, and be challenged to push himself harder and think deeper.
After the short blurb on his academic levels the teacher switched to talk about the social issues.  She said she had a great conversation with Gabe at school, she really felt he was open and honest with her and now that is all in the past.  She said she was a firm believer in moving on and starting fresh.

I assured her that we are going to keep working on honestly and accountability at home and I mentioned that we also talked about a great example of someone who can change his reputation.

Gabe looked up at me and said "yah, Saul to Paul".
Without the slightest pause his teacher said "he is probably the best example of someone who made a decision to change his life and was able to shake off his former reputation".  She went on to talk about how people feared Paul because of his former actions, but all of that can change.

I leaned over to Gabe and said "and lets not forget about Barnabas".

See Paul wanted to jump in to the missionary journey and tell the world about the gospel, but some disciples didn't trust him because of who he used to be.
Then there was one guy, Barnabas, who looked at Paul and said "ya, I'll vouch for this guy, he can come"

I wanted to teach Gabe that when he makes true changes in his behaviors his friends will see it and they can vouch for him, they can stand up for him and speak on his behalf.  I want him to know that he isn't alone, in his class he has a few good friends who can vouch for him when he makes the right choice.

His teacher looked at Gabe in the eyes and said "Gabe, I'll be your Barnabas.  I'll be the one.  I will stand up for you because I believe you are changing".

Joy filled my heart when she spoke those words.

So I'd say it was a good conference.

Comments

Allison said…
I cry at nearly 80% of your posts.
Rachael said…
Wow. So cool. What a great teaching moment for all involved. How great that his teacher knew the story of Paul and jumped right in. God was truly present at that conference.

Popular Posts