I am pleased to announce that I have come up with an advent idea that does not include, the wise men, Mary, Joseph, roots, or anything else traditionally Christmas!
Yea!
I have to admit that on Sunday mornings when the pastor comes onto the stage and starts talking about something, I tune him out for the first 5 minutes.
I usually spend that time reading my bulletin, or thinking about random things.  It isn't until he asks us to "turn in your Bible to...." that I snap out of my thoughts and engage in the message.
Today, those few minutes of ignoring the pastor actually proved to be used wisely!  It was in those moments that the idea of how to spend Advent this season came to me.
I wasn't actually thinking too hard about how to celebrate advent this year.  I was only half-heartedly concerned with granting Gabriel his wish.  I mean really?  Who doesn't love the story of the wise men following the star?  Or the shepherds getting the news in the field?  I love to talk about those things.  I want that to be our advent lesson!
But today, as I sat there reading about a few mission trips coming up, the fundraising efforts from the glow run last weekend, and other tid-bits, it hit me.  Why do I spend the time preparing for advent for my family?  Because I want them to know Jesus.  I want them to know the story of the one who came to save us.  But perhaps it is time for them, not to focus on HOW this Jesus came to be our Savior but WHO Jesus is to us.  So, this year we will not talk very much about the "Christmas Story" but spend 25 days talking about who Jesus is.
I'm starting my "lesson plan" now, seeking versus that proclaim who Jesus is and what promises are given to us through him.  It isn't as important for the boys to know how and why Jesus was that baby in a manger as it is for them to truly know Jesus.
Have a promise you want to contribute?  Please share!

Comments

Popular Posts