Wind Blown

Yesterday I took the ferry to Victoria BC from Port Angeles and returned.  Thankfully, the waters were calm and I was able to enjoy the ride from the deck of the vessel instead of from the stalls of the latrine. On our way over to the island the sun was shining, there was not a cloud in the sky, and I laid down on the upper deck and took a snooze.  The ride would have been perfect if only there were sun beds out there.  Instead of chilling on a lounger I had to contort my body across three seats using Matt's lap as my pillow.
The sun was setting on our return trip and it was too cold to just sit out on the deck, but it made for great walking weather.  I roamed around the decks taking in the sights of the Olympics ahead and the little island behind.  It wasn't cold, but the wind was blowing as the ship sailed across the Strait.  As I made my way around the deck the wind would catch hold of my hair and toss it around.  Initially, I tried to fight the wind by holding my hair, swooping it back behind my ears and tucking it in my coat.  After a round one of the match, I gave in.  I just let the wind tackle my hair.  It blew across my face, straight up in the air, around my neck.  It was a mess.
It was freeing.
Once I stopped fighting it, I enjoyed the feeling of just being blown around.
I felt a little rebellious.
Most everyone else was inside the ship, protected against the wind and cold, but me and a few others were roaming around outside getting blown away.
It smelled fresh and felt free.
I need to walk in the wind more, let my hair get all messy, and embrace the gusts of fresh air.

Comments

Popular Posts