"Volunteer Application Form"

I'm complaining here.  If you don't want negativity in your life skip this post.

I got an email a few days ago from the children's pastor at church that said if you attend this church and have a child in the children's ministry it is "expected" that you volunteer at least once a month somewhere in the children's or youth ministry at the church.
Fine.  I totally agree.  I understand that the ministry is run by volunteers and I have no problem volunteering.  I did think the word "expected" was a little harsh and it caught me off-guard but perhaps they need to use scare tactics to get volunteers to step up?
I emailed back saying I would volunteer and immediately received a response from the nursery director.  I was pretty excited because each time I walk past the baby room, I really want to go in and just snuggle someone else's little bundle of adorableness.  She asked me to meet her at the church so I could tour the facility, get the low down on the ministry and get an application.
Today was my appointment.  I got the tour.  I listened to the policies, asked my questions and then sat down for a 15 minute power point presentation that covered the ministry's goals, mission, etc. Then I was handed a 16 page application. One Six.
I am totally fine with fingerprinting and background check and I do appreciate their efforts to have a staff and volunteers who have been checked out by my local police department. But I'm going to be bold here and say this is ridiculous.

Top 3 things that irritated me:
1.  Addresses for the past 10 years.  Come on.  Is this for Top Secret security clearance?  Am I applying to work for NSA, CIA, FBI? Are there national secrets in the baby diapers?
2. Prior volunteer experience that relates to this position, complete with name and number of supervisor and dates of volunteering.  Good luck.  Almost everyone I know moves every 3 years and are no longer in that "supervisory" position.
3. References.  Someone you know well and have daily interaction with but not related to me or living with me.  Have fun with the international calls to Germany punks.  I'm sure the church has an international calling plan.  No?

I was irritated by page 3, I was flat out pissed by page 6, and I almost went crazy on page 10 when I had to write a summary of my "faith experience".  Good news though, I was invited to use a second sheet of paper if necessary.  I was really tempted to simply write "Matthew 7:1" and let them look up the verse.  "Do not judge or you too will be judged".  But I resisted.

Here is the deal.  They emailed me.  Declared that it was "expected" that I volunteer and then ask me to fill out an application as if they were doing me a favor by letting me spend an extra 1.5 hours at church twice a month, risking sickness because all those darn kids have snotty noses.

Maybe it isn't a big deal.  Maybe I'm just cranky because I didn't have time to eat lunch before the "meeting" today.  I believe it is important to ensure the safety and security of the kids but who really cares if I have ever had volunteer or paid experience rocking babies?  I obviously have done it at least twice and the kids survived or I wouldn't have got the email telling me to volunteer in the first place!

Just in case you were wondering: a cup of coffee plus a scoop of vanilla protein powder and a few ice cubes all blended up does not produce a frappuccino or anything remotely close.



Comments

Unknown said…
I had a very similar experience with the application at our current church. I, too, thought I would love to snuggle other people's babies and hey I have a fingerprint clearance card so I thought I would be doing them a favor by them not having to do a background check. Nope, I was wrong. Super long application very similar questions to yours with references and the whole 9 yards. I agree they are trying to be careful and can appreciate that but really??? I've had job applications (including my current one educating the youth of America) that were shorter!

Popular Posts