It is cold.

Tonight Matt and I went to dinner at the National Harbor. On any other day we would have bundled up a little and walked around the harbor. Today, however, is the coldest day of the year and it is not possible bundle enough to keep warm.
How cold? It is currently 14 degrees Fahrenheit but with the wind whipping around at 13mph, the windchill factor or "feels like" temperature is -1 degree. That, my friends, is cold.
We parked in the parking garage two blocks from the restaurant. When the elevator doors opened into the vestibule and we were already shivering, we knew the walk was going to be painful. We opened the door and headed out. I was bundled up and running as fast as my high heels could carry me. Matt was trying to look cool but without a hat or scarf, his head and ears were near frostbitten, and any cool factor he was trying to exude was squashed by the redness in his face.
We ran down the first block. Matt wanted to stop and ask for directions, but I wanted to run into the closest hotel and "regroup". I cannot think of any other time in my life that I needed to rest after one block. It was just so cold I didn't want to stop outside long enough to figure out where we were and where we needed to go. I was running aimlessly.
We got directions from a lady in a very cool looking jewelry store, and head down the second block. At the end there is a flight of stairs to take down to the waterfront. The harbor is frozen and probably looked so pretty with the lights bouncing off of the sheets of ice, but I didn't linger long enough to take a mental picture. At the bottom of the stairs the wind hits us like those heaters when you walk into Costco on a cold day except instead of being a blast of toasty warm air, it was just the opposite.
So, now all we have to do is cross the street. Thoughts of taking a cab from the restaurant back to the car raced through my head. I have a quick flashback of walking around Anchorage on our first anniversary - I had a poor shoe choice that night too. And finally as the merry-go-round door is within reach, I have a strange taste in my mouth as if I just ate a ton of ice cubes.
We had a nice dinner, finished it off with some coffee and prepared for the return. Matt offered to go get the car and pick me up, but I'm always up for an adventure and declined the act of chivalry. Racing back to the car went well. We had our route plan, disregarded cars trying to pass in front of us, and managed to blow into the parking garage a mere 30 seconds after leaving the restaurant.
I don't care who you are -1 degrees is cold!

Comments

Christy said…
That IS sooo cold. When we were in cold weather like that my California-bred mind went "ohhhh, scarves and hats aren't just trendy, there are places you actually NEED them!"
And then I clicked my heels three times and repeated "There's no place like home." - which doesn't work, turns out.
Clarissa. said…
So funny! As I was freezing this weekend looking so dorky in my red fleece hat, scarf, and gloves, I thought about how there was a time when I wouldn't have donned a skull cap because it would have messed up my hair! I too used to think they were just fashionable accessories. Thankfully, a lady in Target showed me how to properly loop a scarf so that it actually keeps your neck warm. Prior to her intervention, a scarf would just dangle around my neck adding color to my black coat!
I have some cute little knit hats and scarves but on the really cold days, it just has to be fleece! Cute holes let the air in, fleece kicks your body temperature up a notch or two.

Popular Posts