Free Entertainment

Today tragedy struck. Eli was trying to turn the light on in his room and turned on the fan instead. You may be thinking "that doesn't sound tragic", but you would be wrong. Eli knows he isn't supposed to touch the fan/light. So, his initial horror was that he was going to get in trouble for turning the fan on. That fear was quickly replaced by terror when the ceiling fan started making this obnoxious screeching noise. Just a few hours earlier he told me he would sit in a dark scary house for $50, and now he was inconsolable in his own room because the ceiling fan was making a crazy noise.
I was downstairs putting away Christmas lights when this all transpired. I was right in the middle of a 300 light strand and had no intention of starting over just to turn off the fan. So, I sat downstairs and was working on finishing the lights.
While I was down there I listened to the most amusing conversations between Eli and Gabriel. First, Eli was blubbering and crazy. I couldn't make out half the things he was saying but it was clear that he was scared, mad, and frustrated by this fan situation. Oh I wish I would have recorded his drama.
As if that wasn't entertaining enough, Gabriel tried to save the day which added some humor to the whole thing. In an attempt to calm his brother down Gabriel had a solution to this little fan situation. The conversation went like this:
G: Eli, I know what you can do. You can use your MAGIC to stop the fan!! Use your magic wand Eli!
E: I don't have magic. It isn't real. Only dad has magic. I've just been tricking you. I don't have a real magic wand.
There was some discernible mumbling for a few minutes and then Gabe had another suggestion:
G: Oh Eli, lets draw a picture of the fan and then it will stop.
E: How is drawing a picture of the fan going to stop it? That doesn't make any sense at all.
Eli continued ranting about how the fan was on and how it would never, ever, ever stop making the noise. By the time I made it upstairs Eli was still fussing, but much more quietly, and both boys were playing with their cars in the playroom. I turned off the fan and went back down stairs. Drama over. I'll have to wait until tomorrow for another good laugh.

Comments

"Only Dad has magic. I've been tricking you."

Priceless! This is going to make me laugh more than once today :).
mrscotis said…
This one made me laugh out loud! Matt..... I always knew you were a magician.

Popular Posts