Facebook - bad.

I tried to resist the Facebook movement, but in a moment of curiosity I accidentally opened myself up to the Facebook community. I had an account under my super secret alias "Riss Hernandez" and was friends with 2 people. But that all changed when I used my real name and became friends with Matt. One friend request and then poof, an explosion of friends. Next thing I know people from all over are asking me to be their friend.
"How did they find me?" I asked Matt.
Matt quickly explained "that is why it is called a NETWORK" you are friends with me, our mutual friends become your friends and so on and so on.
I get it now. But I don't really get that it is very impersonal. If I haven't kept up with these friends, their facebook page doesn't really tell me anything about them, at least not like a blog.
So, I accept friend requests and go on my merry way - until today.
For the first time I searched for a friend. This openned up a new window to a world I had not yet seen. I found a friend from high school and then saw that she was friends with all these people that I went to church with and haven't heard from in years and then I was searching and peeking in on all these people. Next thing I know, an hour passed. I hadn't made dinner yet, laundry is in the washer, dryer and on the chair, and I have a newsletter to write. Instead of taking care of any of those things, I was sitting here looking at itsy bitsy pictures of people that I once knew very well.
One time I had a dib addiction. Mika introduced dibs to me and although I shunned them at first, later I couldn't stop eating them. I just had to have more and more. I knew I had become a dibaholic when one night my dinner consisted of a container of dibs and a coke. That was the last time I had dibs. Nearly 3 years ago. Not a single dib since. Some have tried to force them in my mouth (literally shove them in my mouth) but I stood my ground and resisted.
Now I am concerned that this Facebook thing could be my next addiction. Do I dabble in the destructive behavior of wasting time, or cut it off now before I have to call up my 12 Steps? I just don't know.

Comments

call up the 12 steps, sista! i got hooked because of my brothers and sisters, then i got cj in on the action, and now he's worse than i am!!!

but it is a fun way to keep in touch. i am SO going to find you now!!! :)
Suzann said…
I love 'crack'book! I'm gonna search for you, too!
Maureen said…
I love FB, but your interest will wane on its own. I was addicted the first few days and then it got a little boring. Now I just check every now and then. My big time-suck? BabyCenter! I waste FAR too much time on the computer. I think, I have to check my email for work. An hour later, I'm still on. Bad.
Christy said…
Everything in moderation. I am, of course, all about you staying on FB. I have to give myself rules, and then it's fine. Of course, if you do choose to leave FB, I'll still be able to find you now...
mrscotis said…
I just want to know what dibs are?????
Clarissa. said…
Dibs, my friend, are little chocolate covered bites of ice cream. They have a variety of flavors by my favorite is the vanilla ice cream covered in crunch bar chocolate goodieness.
You can find them in your grocer's freezer section.
Seriously, ice cream that you can eat with your fingers. yum.

Popular Posts