Is it just me?

Is it just me or are those "security" words really hard to read? In order to place an order, create a new account, post a comment, or whatever these days I have to complete a very complicated task. Correctly decipher 8-20 very swirly, italicized, letters encoded in a grid, that make no sense at all, and type the secret code in the little box below. I can't tell you how many times I fail at this seemingly simple task.
Some sites offer an option for the visually impaired. Now, if you think understanding the lady at the Burger King drive-thru is complicated, don't bother with this option on Ticketmaster. There is a crazy amount of background noise, and then a spooky voice practically whispers numbers intermittently. Your task is to copy down the numbers and then type them in the box provided. Seriously?
I realize that this little security feature is to protect my identity, I'm not complaining, I'm just saying sometimes it is a little tricky. I think the security feature is to make sure that I am not a computer, but it reality I think it protects not so bright people from entering the dangerous world of internet transactions - I may just be one of those people that shouldn't have the power of the internet at my fingertips.


Comments

Christy said…
it's soooo not just you. I am notoriously bad at those, and I always feel like a complete nimwit. "Duh, I graduated from college, but I can't read these 8 numbers...duh"
When it tells me I failed, or whatever the message says, I'm pretty sure someone in internet-land is laughing at me.
mrscotis said…
We still laugh when we talk about the lady at the burger king drive thru. Spencer quotes word for word. OH the memories!

Popular Posts