The Small Things

Last night at bible study we were talking about how people get through difficult times. Many of our friends have circles of friends and family that are suffering great loss right now. Someone mentioned "enjoying the small things" as a way to brighten your day when things are so dark and seem hopeless. The discussion got me thinking about these "small things".
What if the "small things" are really not that small at all? What if life is actually about the small things?
I have had some big things happen in my 30+ years, but it is the "small things" that collectively take up more space in my mind than the big things. The small things are only small because we have them. If they were gone, they would suddenly turn to something big.
I praise God for my small things. For health, wealth (maybe not by the world's standards), friends who love me dearly, for the opportunity that God gives me to touch other people's lives for the better, for Gabriel's infectious giggle, for Eli's sweet sweet spirit, for Matt's job, for the foundation my parents gave me and for so much more.
If I put more weight in the small thing, maybe the big ones wouldn't seem so big.

Comments

Unknown said…
Thank you for the reminder of what really matters. Needed it!

Popular Posts