Lead Astray

I often find myself checking out rottentomatoes.com to read reviews about movies both in theaters and available for rent. I like this site because it shows reviews and ratings from both professional critics and real movie watchers such as myself. The site is a great source of information and I trust the information it provides . . .up until yesterday when it lead me seriously astray.
Last night I invited a friend over for "movie night". We put the kids to bed, made home-made popcorn, and pretended we actually had the night off. Movie night doesn't happen that often so when it does, I really want to watch a great movie. This is the night where girlfriends watch movies that their husbands wouldn't appreciate. At movie night, I want to cry, laugh, or better yet do both!
Last night I rented The Savages and it was quite possibly the worse movie I have ever watched in my life. There have been movies that I didn't like before but nothing quite so pointless and irritating as this flick. Runners up on my bad movie list would be Stranger than Fiction and Lost in Translation, but The Savages is actually way out ahead of these titles when it comes to a really bad movie. I didn't laugh, I didn't cry, I didn't want to continue watching this waste of some poor investor's money.
Savages received a 90% ripe tomato rating while Kite Runner, an incredible movie I recently watched only scored a 67%. Kite Runner was packed with a moving story line, great dialogs, and life changing lessons. According to Rotten Tomatoes the cons
ensus for The Savages was "A brilliantly constructed family drama with superb performances." The truth is it was a horribly written movie with no real point, no great lovable characters, and huge waste of time. In short, don't go see this movie.

Comments

Unknown said…
So I'm gathering you didn't like the Savages?

Popular Posts