This year, I brought shrimp cocktail to the Super Bowl party.  I purchased the fixin's at Costco, so it was obviously going to be delicious. I wanted to step it up a notch from the plastic container it came in, so I put a little effort into making it classy.  I walked into the party with my carefully arranged little shrimp platter with the little cup of cocktail sauce in the middle, only to die in my own skin when I saw the shrimptastic display at the center of the buffet table.  

A spotlight pointed directly at a large crystal punch bowl filled with artisan, slightly peppery and spicy, cocktail sauce and a few dozen giant (I mean giant) shrimp delicately hung on the edge of great grandma's punch bowl. I looked down at my plate and didn't bother taking the plastic off.  All night everyone commented on how delicious the sauce was, how great the shrimp was and how beautiful the display was.  While nobody was looking, I snuck my cafeteria-grade shrimpery back home and tossed it in the fridge. I was so embarrassed.

Often I am afraid or have anxiety about doing things for fear that I won't be good enough -  a valid fear given the Super Bowl 2022 shrimp situation. But really, in the end, I don't think any of the people at the Super Bowl party will remember the lame shrimp I brought.  I do think they will remember the other shrimp though - it was darn good. Similarly, I don't think people talk about my bad gardening or cooking skills, poorly decorated homes, a slightly-off fashion sense, or any of my other weaknesses.  I mean they might for a minute but I don't think, and surely hope, that is not my lasting impression. 

I think we are remembered more for our character than our potluck contributions and yet I often allow my fears to either keep me from doing things I want to do or cause me a ton of stress when I do them. My guess is I am not alone in this.  We all have fears that surround putting ourselves out there.  A new job, a new friend, a new recipe, whatever it is, it can be scary and it can be a disaster.

So, my shrimp was a fail, but my salted caramel butter bars were a hit.  And I think I had some good conversation as well.




Comments

Popular Posts