T W E N T Y Days

There are twenty days left of school. 
About a month.
I can do this.

I am paid for 182 days of work.
Somehow the first 150 seemed to fly by, but this last haul is dragging by ever so slowly.
I admit that much of this snail pace has to do with my perspective.

During the first 100ish I was still hopeful that my students were making progress and I had a great purpose here. Then things started to creep a little for another 50 when kids were working less and less. And here we are in the last 20.  Most of my students are stuck in neutral or maybe 1st gear on a good day.
It is abundantly clear which students will not make it.  While traditional schools advance you based on the years attended, you move through the grade level whether you technically pass all your classes or not, the school I work at labels your level by your accomplishments.  Students who don't meet all the requirements for a "freshman" do not become sophomores until they do. In short, most of my students are not moving on to their next level.
It is frustrating that even with additional help and lowered expectations, these kids will not meet their requirements, it is even more frustrating to see them doing absolutely nothing at school when they are so far behind.
To add to this whole drama of students being unsuccessful, there is some grimy relational stuff going on with a coworker.  Not horrible, insurmountable or ugly, just gritty.  Like when you have once little fleck of sand or a crumb on the bottom of your foot and it is annoying.

20 more days.  Not all of them are full days.
And then Summer!!! 

I can't wait.

Comments

Popular Posts