Change-Up

When E was born I let him sit in front of the TV watching baby Mozart for a total of 30 minutes a day.  He didn't start watching cartoons until he was about 3 and he didn't play any type of video game on the computer or console until he was 5.  I was super conscious about the amount of screen time he had, fearful of him becoming a screen dependent kid.
When G came along, I continued my quest to limit screen time, but became notably more relaxed about the kids watching TV or playing video games.
Screen time was really not a problem with the boys.  They loved playing outside with friends or spending time inside creating with Legos or Kinex, they played games, created imaginative worlds with Playmobile, and they watched tv and played video games.  They really had a good balance and we were lucky enough to live in really great neighborhoods during their elementary school years that gave them plenty of opportunities to enjoy being outside.

Then. They become teenagers.

Legos and Kinex have been boxed up and haven't seen the light of day in years.  Kids are no longer riding bikes around the neighborhood or creating new games combining sprinklers and trampolines.  The time that they spend watching YouTube, playing on the Xbox and watching TV have increased dramatically and it is freaking me out.

I think back to when I was their age and ask "what did I do?"  I did homework, I talked to friends on the phone, I watched TV, and when I was lucky I hung out with friends.  When I was 16 I did homework, worked, and hung out with friends.

Are the boys' choices really all that different?

I don't know.

If they were reading a book for 6 hours would I be mad?  Both being in a book and being in a video game is participating in an imaginary world, but there is just something about the image of my boys lounging on the couch covered in Cheeto dust while playing video games haunts me.

I've struggled with this for a year or so, and a few nights ago I decided to take back control over the amount of time the kids are in front of a screen.  Yes, it will require more of me to take them places, play games with them, study with them, monitor their game time but I truly feel that if it isn't already too late to make a change, that time is getting near.

E has two more years of High School, G still quite a bit of time at home.  I believe we can change their habits now they will be set up for success as adults.

Now that some hours of their day will be freed up from video games, we are hoping that they will spend a little more time on homework and seek out some new friends, clubs or activities.  Knowing video games are not an option way encourage them to get out and do something more productive, engaging, or enlightening.

Feel free to pray for us!  The initial response to the change up didn't go over well.

Comments

Popular Posts