Geriatric Gym

I joined a gym.
Not any of the big named ones that come with a big price tag, I'm too cheap for that.
I have joined a real gym before and had great results come from working out there, but that was way back when I didn't have a job and I could take advantage of all the gym amenities while the kids were in school/preschool.
I joined a Community Center that just happens to have a "fitness room".  It was a mere $50 for three months.
What a deal!

I need to lose weight and I'm not talking like "oh look at this extra 5 little pounds I need to shed".  I'm talking this girl might need to buy new jeans.  Jeans are expensive.  More than the cost of those 3 months at the "fitness room".  So, I decided it is time to get serious.

I thought I could just power through the frigid temperatures and get my booty out for a run to burn some calories. Yes I could.  And I tried.  But I would like to express that it is extremely difficult to run on icy/snow when it is 22 degrees outside.  I think I probably burned as many calories shivering as I did jogging.

After nearly face planting a few times and the fact that my snot was frozen to my upper lip.  I decided it wast time to pay up, get inside and run off this blubber in the comforts of a world class fitness center.

By world class, I mean "economy".

The equipment is perfect for my needs.  There are 5-6 treadmills, a few elliptical, stationary bikes, spin bikes, all those complicated looking weigh lifting machines, and there are some hand weights and exercise balls and such as well.  The whole fitness area is quite small but so far in the few days I've been there, there has been plenty of room to get in, get on a machine and work off that baby fat.  Fine, my "look I'm 40" fat.

The best part of the community center fitness room is it is conveniently located about 2 miles from my house and the fitness room itself overlooks the pickle ball courts.

Yes.  Pickle ball.

This should have been a clue to me about the age group of the users of the fitness room.

So far, everyone that I have seen in the fitness room is old enough to be my parents or grandparents.  I was running on the treadmill Wednesday morning when I heard a strange sound over the blaring music in my earbuds.
What is that noise?
Oh just two ladies working out on the indoor track moving along with their walkers.  No kidding.

I'm not complaining.  I feel really great about myself when I run 4.5 miles in the same amount of time it took the walkers to knock out .5 miles.  It is, however, quite comical.

I could have purchased a membership to the local rest home and had the same crowd working out with me.  They are probably wondering what in the world I'm doing there.  Most of them wear full on track suits, like the velour or swishy kind, and some wear jeans.  I showed up today in my hot pink capri running tights and a hoodie.  I'm listening to music on my bluetooth earbuds that are magically connected to my iPhone, while they have newspapers and novels to read while walking on the treadmill.  My favorite sight yesterday was watching the guy next to me step off of the treadmill every time he turned the page in his newspaper.

If you are ever in town and want to join me at the geriatric gym feel free.  They have day passes.


Comments

Popular Posts