Summer: Day 70

70 days ago: my family loaded headed out on our first of many summer adventures: a cruise to the Bahamas.
That same weekend my grandma, parents, two aunts, and an uncle were in Eastern Washington to meet up with my great aunts and uncles, cousins twice removed, and other extended family in Eastern Washington.  It was a mini-reunion of my grandma's side of the family.
When I saw my grandma back in April she brought out a vest that she purchased to wear on the trip up to Wa.  She was asking my sister and I our opinion of what pants she should wear with it.  Still 2 months out and her anticipation of the event was growing.
Before I boarded the ship, I checked in with dad and he told me that everyone made it to Wa safety and was having a great time.  Grandma made the journey fine and seemed to be enjoying herself.
She walked with a cane.
I was out of communication for a week.
62 days ago: Shortly after I got off the ship in Port Canaveral, I received word that my grandma had arrived home from her trip and was demonstrating some very unsettling behavior.  Dad informed me that my sister took Grandma to the hospital and by the end of the week it was determined that grandma could not be left alone.  My sister stayed with her for a few days and then my aunt came to help out for another few days until my parents returned from their extended vacation.
57 days ago: My parents picked up my kiddos near my house and headed home. By the time they arrived, the decision was made to move my grandmother into my parents' home. My boys had a chance to hang out with grandma, they took a field trip to Leatherby's for ice cream with her.
A few weeks later grandma's decline was so great that the family was searching for affordable nursing homes.
She now uses a wheelchair.
29 days ago: I arrived in California at my parents house.
When I walked in to the house I found grandma sitting at the dining room table finishing her dinner.  I smiled and said "hello" and gave her a hug. She returned the smile and hug. In the coming hours and days I realized the struggle she was having to move from wheelchair to bed or chair, and conversation was minimal, if at all.
My heart was breaking.
27 days ago: she is taken to the hospital.  She is not eating, can barely keep down water and has slept for most of the past 24 hours.
The family gathered.
The diagnosis arrives.
Without food and water, her time is limited.
She is brought home for hospice care.
She can barely move on her own accord.
18 Days ago: my grandma speaks to me for the last time.
She never leaves her bed again.
12 Days ago: I head back to California.
She has gone 2 weeks without food and 5 days without water.
She is in a coma.
7 Days ago: she died.

70 days, not even the whole of summer.
Her path was quick but steep.


Comments

Popular Posts