Synonyms

When shipping items overseas you are required to fill out a customs form.  No problem right?  Wrong.
What if it is a gift?
Nothing spoils a gift that you worked so hard to wrap and package like listing the items enclosed right on the outside of the box.
What if you are shipping something you probably shouldn't?
Sometimes you simply need to ship things like jerky or coffee and you are willing to risk breaking all types of international law in order to do so?  You don't want to blatantly divulge that you are sending your friend K-cups right?

That pesky customs form was a part of my life for 2 years of Matt being stationed overseas and then 3 more years when we lived in Germany.
I learned to get creative.
I was sending a gift one time that was Starbucks Christmas Blend K-cups and a Starbucks ornament.  I indicated on the customs form that it was "holiday tea" and "Christmas embellishments".  The post office guy actually said to me "christmas embellishments?"  I said "yep".
I can't even remember half of the things I made up when filling out those forms.

So here I am preparing a package to be sent internationally and I'm pondering what in the world to write to covertly describe the contents.  It isn't illegal, and it isn't a surprise, but it is pretty valuable and I would like to avoid theft.
Here are some synonyms I found online: mainframe, microcomputer, mini, minicomputer, data processor, artificial intelligence, abacus, thinking machine, personal computer and micro.

I'm tempted to write "thinking machine" and see what happens.

What about "electronical media access device"?  Maybe they would see that and say "what the heck?"

I settled for "13" Monitor".
It absolutely has a 13" monitor, of course it is attached to a $1400 computer but that's not important.

Just for grins, I included a back scratcher and two books.
No one would steal a back scratcher, right?

Why in the world am I sending a computer internationally?  Upon his arrival to the great dusty place, Matt's laptop said "farewell" to the world of the living.
The insurance lady was trying to be kind when she told me our insurance didn't cover the computer death and so she politely suggested he just take the computer down to his local Apple Store for repair.
Uh mam....Apples don't grow in the desert.

I've never prayed over a package before but I am praying over this one!  Join me!
I'm praying nobody cares about my little brown box and that it arrives in supernatural speed.

Comments

Allison said…
You're too funny!

Popular Posts