Disappointment

Today I tried to pay a bill in person, register my kids for camp, get groceries and order a replacement part for the van.  Although my success rate for these tasks are 3 for 4 each check on my to-do list proved more and more disappointing.

I have one store credit card.  One.  I used it a lot when we lived in Germany because I could get free shipping as a card holder and I also earned credits for future purchases.  I always pay it off each month because the interest rate is 150000%.  I have tried to pay off the whopping balance of $75 for two weeks now without success.  I have paperless billing, my credit card was temporarily lost so I reported it and got a new card and now I can't pay my bill online or over the phone.  So I went to my local store to pay it and was informed that I could only pay online or over the phone.  See my problem.  Frustrated I said, well I guess it is time for me to sever my ties with this card, it is becoming quite a pain, to which the lady said "you should, they are very difficult to deal with".  And moving right along with my next task.
One of the seatbelts on the van is starting to fray.  That can't be good.  I went to to Toyota to order the part and it is $160 plus installation fees.  If I hadn't already pooped today, I would have had a bowel issue right there in the showroom.  Really?  I'm thinking two or three $5 bungee cords would be equally effective.  I was left with a decision: deem the seat inoperable and just use the other 6 available seats in the van, or buy the darn over priced piece of life saving equipment.  I didn't want to look like a horrible mother so I bought it.  If it only takes 1 hour to install it is $100 for the replacement.  My bet is that it takes 5 minutes but whatever.
Off to the church to register the kids for camp.  Yay!! I'm so excited for them to experience their first kids' summer camp.  I filled out the paperwork and asked if I needed to pay now.  The lady said yes.  I thought it was a wee bit odd because while waiting for the secretary to come and help me register I read in Sunday's bulletin that the church was trying to raise $6000 to help give kids scholarships to camp.  So I wondered who gets the $6000 if I am being asked to pay now, in full.  I decided the scholarships were probably for families who couldn't afford camp so I wrote the check for $490.  After I handed the woman the check and  the paperwork she told me that my two boys were the only ones signed up for camp.  I was so stunned I wasn't sure how to respond.  Registration was actually due this past Sunday.  I asked what will happen if nobody else registers.  She told me it was no big deal, kids from other churches were going so there would be plenty of kids for my boys to play with.  I said "OK" and headed to the car.
Camp is a great experience for a lot of reasons.  Learning about God, singing songs, playing games, getting away from your parents for a week and building relationships.  If I didn't care about that last aspect I would have sent the boys to camp with my sister's church in Ca.  They have an excellent summer camp and my kids would have loved it!  However, I didn't want to send them there for the sole reason that I wanted them to try and establish some friendships with other kids that they go to church with.  So, I'm pretty disappointed that we've been looking forward to this camp for three months now, and three weeks before camp kicks off we find out nobody else is going.
I emailed the children's pastor and asked him to hold off on our registration, I'm having second thoughts.
Last stop = grab stuff for Gabe to make Lasagna tonight.  I pull into the parking lot and see an older woman approaching the crosswalk.  I slow and stop so that she could pass and she through a little fit.  She was visibly frustrated and turned around and stomped around for a moment or two.  I thought "maybe she forgot something in her car and has to go back?" but once I moved on she went from her fit throwing place to crossing the street.  I don't get it.  So the old lady is pissed I stopped so she could cross the street?
I made it home without yelling at anyone, running anyone over, or having a stress related heart attack.  But I find myself shaking me head and mumbling to myself "really?"  This day has to get better soon!

Comments

Popular Posts