Lessons Learned.

I called Eli today to talk to him about the afore mentioned camp issue.  I asked him what he thought about going to camp without knowing anyone else but his brother.
His response both humbled me and made me proud.
Turns out, some of lessons that we've been teaching him have actually sunk in.

Lesson 1: Your brother is your best and lifelong friend.
Matt tells the boys over and over again that they are brothers, they are friends, they fight for each other, they stick up for each other, they support each other, they love each other.  Brothers means you always have a best friend, someone to play with, and someone who will love you even after you punch him in the gut.  Love your brother and treasure your brother because through it all, he is the one who will be there.

Eli said "it doesn't matter if nobody else goes, I'll have my brother there".


Lesson 2: Embrace adventure - don't let fear keep you from living and learning new things.
I choose not to live in fear of trying something new, going somewhere I've never gone before, going somewhere alone or even trying randomly weird and raw foods.  I want the kids to live the same way.  I want them to try things even if they decide they don't like it.  I don't want fear of the unknown to keep them from enjoying life.

Eli: Even if I don't know anyone, I'll still have a lot of fun.

Lesson 3: If you want a friend, you might just have to put yourself out there.
Sometimes people approach you and start off a relationship.  Other times you have to be the one to initiate it.  You can sit there quietly waiting, or take command and invite a friend into your life.  Numerous times when we were traveling the boys would see a kid their age playing and want desperately to join in.  They started to learn that it didn't matter if there was a language barrier or if they looked different or played different, if they initiated a relationship chances are they would instantly have a new buddy to play with.

Eli: I don't have to know other kids when I leave for camp, but I'll be good friends with someone by the time we come home.

I felt a little guilty.  Rather than encouraging the boys to live out these lessons that we've been teaching them, I was setting the stage for them to back out of this adventure.  Eli could tell by the tone of my voice that I wasn't necessarily excited about their camp adventure, but he sat there rattling off all the reasons that he should go - the very lessons we have pounded into his head and the very same lessons that he has learned on his own.

I emailed the children's pastor and said "the boys are a go for camp".  He quickly responded "they will have a BLAST and God will do great things in their lives".
I absolutely concur.

Comments

Popular Posts