Game Plan

I'm pleased to report that the boys and I came up with a game plan for our mornings a few weeks ago, and so far it is working!
We have a play book.  Everyone has a role.  We have our eyes fixed on a prize.  And in those moments when one player is still down field tying his shoe, or wiping the sleep from his eyes, the other players step it up a notch and cover his position.
And so far our team is winning!
We have a 9-2 record, which I think is pretty good considering we were a disastrous bunch last "season".
Until....we had a team dad show up at a game and start mixing things up, changing the plays and sabotaging our game.

This morning the dad flips on the light at 6:30.
Odd. Since the game doesn't usually start until 7:00.
Once the light is on, the players start to move about and assume their roles, but before player 1 goes to his position and player 2 has almost reached his, dad calls a play that has never  before been called.  He yells to the team "first one downstairs gets a donut".
What?
I'm still in the shower.  I'm not on the field yet.  I was supposed to have 30 uninterrupted minutes in the locker room before the game started.  Now, my teammates are racing through the house in a frenzy forgetting their positions.
Nearly in my uniform there is a knock at the locker room door.  A player is wounded and crying.  What has happened?  There wasn't full coverage on the field and now one of my teammates has his hair and face covered with Tillamook Vanilla Bean Yogurt.  It smells so good.  I'm hungry.
What happened?  Player 2 tossed a yogurt covered lid at player 1 and player 1 retaliated with a smack in the face with a fist full of yogurt.  Personal foul!!
I get player 2 in a clean uniform.  Assess the situation on the field and determine we need the grounds crew immediately.
We clean the field of the yogurt mess and then turn to find that while I was working on field maintenance, a whole new game has broken out in the living room.
Wresting.
The furniture has all been moved and there is an actual wrestling match going down.  My team is turning against each other.  Things are starting to unravel.
Player 1 heads upstairs to take care of the morning "duty" that was raced through with the promise of a donut looming over him.  On the way up the stairs, player 2 punches him in the stomach.  Well, that will help the duty move faster at least.
I reprimand player 2 and get him on the team bus and wait impatiently for player 1.  He arrives without his gear.  Back upstairs he goes to retrieve the rest of his equipment.
We are all finally out the door, in the vehicle and on our way.
I send the dad a text "I don't know what in the world you did today with my team, but don't you dare do it again".
Turns out dad thought more time meant a better, easier morning.  Dad is wrong.  We kicked him off our team.

Comments

DYING! I love you guys! ;)

Popular Posts