O Come

Today in church following the planned worship set our music pastor prayed and then started plinking out on the piano an old familiar tune.

"O come let us adore him, o come let us adore him, o come let us adore him, Christ the Lord."

If you are like me, you associate this song with a little babe wrapped in swaddling clothes surrounded by animals and worshiping shepherds. In December.
Today we sang this song and the Jesus I was singing about was walking toward calvary. He was no longer wrapped in clothes and surrounded by sweet little baby donkeys and lambs, but in torn clothing, with a crown of thorns and surrounded by scoffers.
It is a lot easier to "adore" a baby.  Babies are cute and sweet and they sleep a lot.  A man on a cross, dying for me, in my place, is more of something I want to look away from.

Just to clarify any religious issues here, I totally get that Jesus is not in a manger or on a cross but reigning on a throne.  And that is the Jesus that we are really called to come and adore.

However, its my brain and it does its own thing, and today, in my mind I was worshiping the one who paid my debt. Who, as Romans 5:8 states, died for me WHILE I was still a sinner. That was the image in my mind today. The painful image of my sins resting on the shoulders of the one who was a sacrifice for me.

I wonder.  Would I have come to the manger?  Would I have had the faith to believe that the messiah had indeed come?  Would I have come to the cross?  Would I have looked upon the broken body and adored Christ my Lord? Now, having the knowledge of the manger, the cross, and the empty tomb do I come adore my Lord in heaven?

Comments

Popular Posts