Hating Germany 3

1. Garbage Disposals. We have none. I read somewhere that garbage disposals are illegal. I thought I would get used to the food scraping in the trash but I haven't. I still randomly toss food in the sink as if I can just grind it down with the disposer. But no, instead I get to reach into the sink and grab the soaking wet, slimy food item and attempt to get it in the trash without slopping it on myself or the floor. I can't wait to clear off a plate in the sink and watch the food, water and anything else that gets in the way disappear into the plumbing!

2. Water. Our water has so much calcium in it that it destroys just about everything. The showers, the sinks, water pitchers, coffee makers, tea kettles... you name it. It is so irritating to constantly have chunky, grimy residue where water has been contained.

3. AFN. Armed Forces Network. Nice idea, poor delivery. AFN is free television for those of us who live on post. Free is nice. It is also nice to have American television shows. But the picture is so horrible it is almost painful to watch. Remember rabbit ears and tin foil? Worse than that. It constantly looks like it is snowing on the TV and if it isn't "snowing" there is a good chance the show is flickering. Our reception is so bad that I usually don't even attempt to watch anything. When I do turn on the TV and manage to get a clear picture there is usually absolutely nothing on. The first year we lived here Touched by and Angel and 7th Heaven were the only two shows I ever saw. The next year seemed to be Oprah and reruns of Beverly Hills 90210 and this year the only thing I have watched is Fear Factor and Extreme Make-over Home Edition. I like that the television isn't a main player in our home but when I do sit down to watch something it would be simply wonderful if the picture were clear and it was something from this decade.

4. AFN Radio. Yesterday I was listening to AFN Heidelberg. In Heidelberg. Actually on a US Installation in Heidelberg and the station still didn't come in clear. I could understand if it were AFN Wiesbaden or AFN Stuttgart but good golly it was AFN Heidelberg and I was in Heidelberg. I would like to listen to the news without the German traffic report breaking in!

Comments

Popular Posts