Ode To 15 Years

There I stood at the back of the church with my dad beside me and my future husband up ahead.
The bell ringer headed down the aisle as a signal that I was on my way.
Music began to play and a tiny cry was heard throughout the congregation "the music scares me".
The bell ringer turned on his heels and reversed coarse.
During rehearsals my three-year-old cousin walked down the aisle of a silent church ringing his little bell. However, due to a little mix-up with the sound guy, the music was an unknown variable and proved too much for the young boy.
I looked to my dad and gave his arm a tug.
Who needs music? Let's do this.
We then proceeded to practically run down the aisle.
The "Wedding March" began as I was about 3 feet from the alter.
(Apparently, I'm not very patient when things don't go my way.)
Standing before our pastor with our friends and family looking on Matt and I made some promises that day to each other and to God.
I don't exactly remember what we promised but I do know we promised to be together.
Here we are 15 years later.
Not only together, but fully enjoying our togetherness.

A few years ago some friends and I were talking about meeting our spouse and proposals and such. One friend asked "When did you know that he was the one?" I know the very romantic and popular answer would be when Matt kissed me under mistletoe or when I saw him for the first time, but I went for a completely honest answer "I guess about 2-3 years after we got married".
Looking back I don't know why I said "yes" to Matt's proposal. It was definitely the least thought-out decision of my life. And even more mystifying is why Matt asked in the first place.
The truth is I didn't really love him back then. I thought I did, but what we shared was a mere shadow of love. It looked like love and felt like love but it was flat and fleeting. It wasn't until months and years passed that we really started to love each other the way God designed us to. As time passed we learned how to be patient with each other, to be kind even when we were in a disagreement. I learned the importance of honoring and respecting Matt and not looking out for myself first. We learned to trust, dream and persevere together. Today I can say with great confidence that I love Matt more than I ever have.
Matt is truly my very best friend, the one who loves me more than I deserve and more than I could have ever imagined. I laugh harder with Matt than anyone else in the world because we are both complete dorks who find humor in the most ridiculous things. I find myself reaching for his hand to hold at each opportunity because I do want to be that close to him.
I can't believe he proposed. I can't believe I said yes. But I'm so very thankful for that we did and completely astounded at this amazing life we have led so far.
Prost! to the next 15 and the next 30 after that!


Comments

mrscotis said…
Who was that bell ringer anyway????? On a sweeter note...that was beautifully said. Thanks for your honesty and faithfulness. I think alot of us can relate. Love you both.
Rachael said…
Happy Anniversary! I totally agree that you can't really realize the importance of your decision when making it. I am thankful for prayer-offering mothers.

Popular Posts