Alien: non-citizen inhabitant.

1 Peter 2:11 refers to Christians as "aliens and strangers" in the world. He is talking about living in the world but not adopting worldly ideals. My alien status is a little more literal. I have no State residency. I am an alien...everywhere.
I have a driver's license that is about to expire and I have no clue how to get a new one.
Here are the facts:
CA: Though I could easily claim California residency since my parents are listed as my US address and although we don't live there, Matt's official 'Home of Record' is California. Matt's status with the Golden State would grant me some sort of waiver with a copy of his orders and pay information showing him as a CA resident. However, I have not had a driver's license in California in over 14 years. Something tells me they won't just give me one if I mail in a completed application and an ugly photo.
WA and HI: Had licenses in these States that have expired.
AL and TN: Never was licensed in these States. Nobody can officially link me to these Southern States.
VA: Current license from VA will expire on my birthday. VA has a military clause that will allow me to get an extension on my current license if I can verify that Matt is a resident there and we are out of State due to military orders. I can also get an extension if I claim I still live there and provide a bill proving my current VA address. Both are problems. Matt is not and never was a VA resident and I am not in the habit of paying bills for things I don't use in a State I don't reside in.
Germany: I have a US Army Europe license that is only valid in conjunction with a Stateside license. Or should I say "valid" Stateside license.

Clearly I have two choices here: one, sort out some red-tape issues with the Commonwealth of Virginia or two, and I think the most logical choice, fly back to California to get a license there. I'm working on my presentation to sell this idea to Matt. I have about 6 months to work out these little details.

Comments

Unknown said…
I like the come to CA idea I'll help work on Matt with you.
Unknown said…
I'm with the CA idea with maybe a jaunt over to the neighboring state of AZ???
Rachael said…
with our numerous moves over the years we have had MANY issues with our licenses . . . our latest treasure-of-a-discovery? You can renew for one year with one simple phone call. Or you could make all your californian counterparts extremely happy . . .!

Popular Posts