Lift Up my Hands

This week the boys and I took a quick road trip down to Velburg to visit my friend Katie and her family. Remember this airport scene? I was confident when I said goodbye to Katie that it would be years before I saw her again. Well, she lives 3 hours away now! While it is too far to run over and have coffee, it is much closer than the 12 hour drive it was between TN and VA, and close enough that with a little planning, we can easily spend a day together.

On the drive down to Velburg and back I was listening to a book on CD by Francine Rivers called The Priest. I clearly didn't read the synopsis of the book on back of the case. I was expecting something fiction and what I ended up with is basically a creative retelling of the book of Exodus from Aaron's perspective. It isn't a bad book, just not what I was expecting.

I've heard the story of Moses' and the Israelites' exodus out of Egypt into the Promised land numerous times, so this was review. However, there was one part of the story the moved me. Exodus 17:11 tells about the Israelites battle with the Amalekites. Moses stood up on a hill with his hands raised. As long as his hands were raised, the Israelites were winning, but as soon as he grew tired and lowered his hands, the Amalekites took the lead. Then verse 12 says " when Moses' hands grew tired, they took a stone and put it under him and he sat on it. Aaron and Hur held his hands up—one on one side, one on the other—so that his hands remained steady till sunset". The Israelites won.

It is rather interesting that the position of Moses' hands dictating the victor of the battle. However, this time when I listened to the story I focused on Hur and Aaron. When Moses grew weary and couldn't raise his hands any longer, two guys stood beside him and carried the weight of his arms. They couldn't take the task from Moses, it was still his job to have his hands in the air, but they could stand next to him and share the burden.

What a great picture of friendship! When I am tired, frustrated, hurt, overwhelmed, or broken hearted, it is true, God appointed, friends that will come along and lift up my hands.

Comments

Rachael said…
What a beautiful picture of friendship . . .

Popular Posts