Monday

It started off a typical Monday. 7am the alarm went off and I loathed the idea of getting out of bed. And that was the last thing typical about this day.
We decided that Eli wasn't going to go to school since he was awake and coughing all night, so I rolled back over at 7:05 and stayed snug in my bed until the kids woke up.
Monday is a heavy workload for Gabe's homeschool, we start off strong and fizzle out by Friday. So, I turned today into "Bring your Brother to School Day." Gabe and Eli each found some workspace in the school room and we started off with the calendar, pledge, and memory verses. I had to find different assignments for each of the boys for reading, writing, and math, but we all sat together for science, bible and German. It was actually a little fun.
I just ordered some curriculum for the boys to work on for summer school - they don't know it yet- so today's school time was a great sampler for summer school. I'm actually looking forward to fending off the summer doldrums by starting off each day with writing workshop and German.
After a few hours of school and a quick bite to eat, it was time to head to the doctor. Eli's minor cough and congestion turned into big hacking spells ending with some bloody snot rockets. Yuck. I know. So, I took him to the doctor.
Now, I should mention that I am not one to take a kid to the doctor for every little thing. As far as I was concerned, he had a cold. No fever, no lethargy, no signs of anything more than the common cold . . . until the bloody business. So, I reluctantly took him in.
The appointment was at 12:50. I was called into the room at 1:15 and then I sat in the room for 30 minutes waiting for the doctor. If I were just waiting in an empty room it would have been more tolerable than sitting in the room with a young private who's qualifications I am still unaware of. He started with the weight, height, blood pressure and temperature and then . . . he played doctor. He asked about 100 questions, listened to Eli's breathing with a stethoscope, looked at his throat with the little popsicle stick, and even donned some gloves to feel his neck. If he were an actual doctor, this would make sense but this guy is not a doctor and everything he did was a complete waste of everyone's time. Once he was done with his exam he told me "I'll go tell the doctor you are ready." What? I've been ready! I was ready at 12:40 when I showed up 10 minutes prior to my appointment time. I was ready at 1:15 when he finally brought me out of the waiting room into the office. And I was surely ready at 1:20 after he took Eli's vitals when a real doctor should have come into the room.
After an evaluation by the real doctor, it turns out Eli has a little wheezing and he probably has some bronchial something or other. Drugs ordered, prescription picked up and out the door at 2:05. People give birth to babies in less time.
We left the doctor's office and were greeted by a shower of the largest most beautiful snow flakes ever and a nearly empty tank of gas. So, I headed across the street to the gas station, filled up the van and went in to pay and get my ration card checked off. The very nice man who was assisting me with my transaction managed to lose my gas ration card. I very sweetly proclaimed that he didn't give it to me, and he kindly requested that I check all my pockets because he was very confident he did. There was a lot of pocket searching, looking around aimlessly, and about 10 pairs of eyes glaring at me for stopping all gas purchase transactions. I wasn't leaving so he started wracking his brain a little harder and then he decided to check another lady's gas folder. Sure enough he put my esso card in her folder and she was heading out the door. Esso card in folder, id card in wallet, gas in van, snow on road, meds ready for consumption, time to go home!
Thankfully, I'm married to a man that appreciates a dinner of soup and grilled cheese sandwiches because at 4pm I'm in my jammies, with a warm cup of joe, and no plans of extending myself to make anything else for dinner.
Oh Monday.

Comments

That made ME want to go get back into pajamas! Mondays should be holidays.
Unknown said…
Wow- I am feeling tired now and may need to go take a snooze!
Christy said…
...taking the baby to the doctor tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes! :)

Popular Posts