Was ist los?

My friend Rachael declared that I was neglecting my blog and suggested that I come home and write something.
I raced home and plopped down in front of the computer to type something profound. Not really, I came home and the sight of the laundry on the couch and dirty carpet made me sick to my stomach. The best cure for that is to sit at my computer with my back to the laundry and dirty carpet only in my peripheral.
However, Rachael's observation does cause me concern. As a blog reader myself, I know that it gets slightly frustrating when I check in on my favorite blogs and there is nothing new to read or see. So, here I am typing something, anything with the hope of keeping my readers engaged and coming back.
I titled this post "Was ist los" which means "What is going on?" in German. My plan was to give everyone an update on what we are up to. However, when I read "was ist los?" I would guess it means "what is lost?" and so I think I'm going to write about that instead.
So, what is lost?
My neighbor. Not just any neighbor but my neighbor/friend/kindred spirit Rachael. She lives a stone's throw from my house - if I had a good arm. I could be at her house in 30 seconds without running. There are so many times that I needed an egg, an apple, an onion, superglue, a car (I realized my car battery was dead 15 minutes before Eli needed to be picked up from school) and much more and within minutes I was at Rachael's to retrieve the item. We see each other walking in the neighborhood, at the pool, and we pass each other as we are driving in or out. We pick up things for each other at the store and we swing by with random acts of coffee or other great treats. We can be there for each other right when we need to be. There are so many opportunities to be together or do something for each other when distance- of any amount is not a factor. We are so blessed.
I guess technically Rachael isn't lost, but the special circumstances of the location of our houses is lost. In short, we are both moving.
What is lost is a unique moment in time where great friends have the opportunity to share so much more of their lives, because they live so close. My friendship with Rachael isn't lost. No way, we are lifers but this time is quickly fading.

Comments

Unknown said…
I have been working hard at avoiding the obvious, but now you have forced me to confront my new situation. I have never known what it is like to live close to a dear friend, but now that I have experienced it with the best of neighbor and friend, I will always crave it for the rest of my life. I don't know if you and I will have that privilege again (who knows maybe there will be an American History teaching position open up in Germany?!), but I do know it has created quite a bond! Thank you for sharing the details of life with me.

Popular Posts