The Nap

Tuesday night I had a horrible night's rest. I went to bed late, woke up numerous times throughout the night, and was just wide awake from about 3:30 to 5:30am. My alarm went off Wednesday morning and my first thought was "I need coffee". It was a MOPS morning so I was rushing Eli off to school and heading straight to MOPS, while Matt took care of getting Gabriel to school. I arrived at MOPS in record time, only to find out they didn't have coffee. Not cool.
I was scheduled to work in childcare on Wednesday which entails watching 18 crying, runny nosed, walkers and trying my best to keep 18 sippy cups associated with the right child and roaming around the room trying to find the culprit of dirty diapers. So I had to me on my toes ready for anything these kids were going to throw at me. There were 5 adults and 18 kids - the adults won but only by a small margin. By the end of the meeting I was wiped out.
After the meeting I stopped for lunch with a friend and then picked up Gabriel from school. On the way home I explained to him that mommy was really tired today and we were going to take a nap together. We laid down, I set the alarm, and off to dreamland we went. The alarm went off at 3pm, giving me plenty of time to wake up Gabriel and get to Eli's school before he was released at 3:30. It was all fun and games until I turned off the alarm and thought about how tired I still was.
In a jolt my eyes opened and I saw "3:35" in blazing red staring back at me. In one fluid motion I jumped out of bed, grabbed Gabriel, snatched a pair of slip-on shoes and grabbed a coat. I ran down the stairs, buckled Gabe in his seat and flew out of the garage. I hit red lights, there was traffic, I was panicking, and all the while trying to rationalize how I may actually make it there before anyone realizes I was late. After sitting at the light right across from the entrance to Eli's school for about 18 hours I realized it was 3:48, no kids were in sight anywhere at school, the buses were gone, the cars gone, and Eli was definitely going to notice that I was late!
I pulled into the parking lot and looked back at Gabriel, he was still sleeping, so I locked the car and ran into the office. There he was sitting on a chair in his full winter regalia reading a book. I looked at his little face and mouthed the words "I'm sorry". I dropped to my knees in front of him and gave him a big hug, I kissed his cheek and said "I am so sorry mommy is late, I got stuck". The office staff must have seen the look of total failure on my face and none of them asked me to sign him out or even acknowledged my extreme tardiness. As we were walking out of the office Eli was holding my hand and looked up at me. "mom, what do you mean you got stuck? Like stuck in the grass?" Once in the car I explained that I wasn't stuck in the grass, more like stuck in the middle of a nap and ran late! He said "oh, can I have a snack when we get home?"
The experience was slightly traumatic . . . but that was a really good nap!

Comments

Suzann said…
Now I feel really horrible about not knowing how to make coffee! I promise to do better next time :0)
Unknown said…
i too, am going to pledge to learn how to make the darn coffee!

Popular Posts