GPS

Today I had a verbal altercation with Mio (my GPS). She often gets confused in the Springfield interchange, so I've learned to accept that as a fault and move on. However, today it wasn't just the interchange it was everything! She led me to exit 9 on 395 North which doesn't exist (I needed 8 C but didn't realize it until I passed it) then she continued to try and turn me around via one way streets and airport access roads. I ignored her and just tried to stay calm during the 10 minute delay. Apparently, she was having a bad day because on the way home, she was completely confused. I think she should have just admitted she was lost instead of continuing with her snotty little "route recalculation" comments as if I did something to cause her to recalculate. She thought I was on a main road and kept trying to get me to turn every which way when really I was on the freeway and just needed to keep going straight for 8.6 miles! She really should have known better because I was simply going home, a route she should completely have down by now. After yelling at her and finally telling her to shut up, I turned her off.
Later, I picked up Gabriel from school and he told me we were going to see Mickey Mouse's house.
"Really" I replied, "where does he live?" I was completely expecting the "Disney World" response but instead . . . . he responded "you have to use your G P S". Silly guy didn't realize I was in a fight with Mio and was not ready to admit I might actually needed her!
Just a few minutes later, Gabriel asked if we needed to use the GPS in order to get to where God lived. After a second I explained "No, Gabriel we definitely DO NOT need a GPS to find God, he is right there every time you call. If you don't call on him you may make a few wrong turns while you are searching, but as long as you call on him, he will lead you along the way."
I learned some lessons today. First, I need to seek help for my GPS rage and learn to have a little more patience with my little electronic helper. Second, Gabriel probably won't remember life without a GPS! I need to teach him the ancient art of map reading before the skill becomes extinct. And finally, just about anything can become a valuable teaching tool for little guys' Gabe's age.

Comments

Unknown said…
Thank you for the wonderful tale today - it made me smile and laugh! I've been catching up on your family through the blog and so much enjoy your writing!! Miss talking to you but I do think about you all the time.
Unknown said…
little ones do make us think! Gabe is going to keep you on your toes. I love to read your stories and hope you keep writing!

Popular Posts