Crack-a-lackin'

 I am still getting adjustments each week to try and resolve my laundry day injury.  I definitely felt incredible relief after those first few sessions, and week after week the tightness has lessened and my ability to move has increased. For that, I am grateful.

During that first appointment about a month ago, in a moment of pain and mental weakness, I purchased an 8-pack-o-cracks from the chiropractor, so I'm committed to continuing treatment for a few more weeks whether I need them or not.  Well played chiro-guy.

When I began the treatment, I was confident I would get immediate relief, and I did.  Some people are convinced that weekly or monthly adjustments help control pain, relieve allergies, counteract infertility, and much more.  I'm not one of those.  In fact, these few weeks of treatment have reminded me that while the adjustments are giving me immediate, temporary pain relief, they are not solving the core problem.  Relieving the pain provides me with the opportunity to stretch, exercise, practice good posture and allow my muscles to heal - the crack-a-lackin'  itself isn't actually healing my pulled muscles.

Sometimes we need that instant relief in order to go on and thoroughly heal. We need a day to mourn, a good long nap to escape stress, freedom to vent, cry out or talk through an injustice, painful experience, or overwhelming situation.  But, the solution to a deeper injury will not be found in momentary escape. That escape may give us a moment to breathe and ready ourselves for the next challenge but it doesn't actually win the battle.

A nap, a long run, a tantrum, a glass of wine, or a chiropractor visit is a short-term solution for a bigger problem.  The solution, the healing, and the peace come with work.  It isn't quick and it isn't easy.

In order to prevent my back from trying to ruin my life again, I need to practice healthy bending and strengthen those muscles in my back to help carry this old body.  The same is true for the emotional pain I carry, it is going to take practice and work to bring healing to the situations that grieve me most.

There can be value in those quick, temporary solutions as long as I remember that it is step one of a process that will bring actual healing, resolution, or peace.

Comments

Popular Posts