What day is it?
What time is it?
When was the last time I went grocery shopping?
When was baseball season supposed to start?
How did I spend my days before all this?
Who am I?

The days and time are all running together.  Yesterday Eli and I had a lengthy conversation about what day it was.  Sure, we could have looked at a phone and found out really quickly, but where is the challenge in that?

Sometimes I am overwhelmed thinking about all the devastation this virus is causing other times I wonder what life will be like when we leave our houses again.  Will we wear masks to soccer matches and concerts?  Will there be soccer matches and concerts?  What will flying be like?  Will they sell every other seat so that we can semi-social distance in a plane?

One thing that I ask myself daily is who have I become?

I used to get up every morning and walk the dog, drop Gabe off at school, teach some kids and hopefully bring some positive influence into their lives, then I maybe squeeze in a workout, make dinner, do laundry, perhaps read a bit or watch a show and head to bed.  Sometimes there were other drop-offs and pickups, matches to watch, gatherings to attend, or errands to run.


These days I wake up much later, do a little workout, grab breakfast, go for a run and/or walk the dog, I make meals, do laundry, and read too much news.  I practice Spanish lessons online, do puzzles, roam around the house looking for where I left myself.  I clean "high touch" points endlessly, I wash my hands every 30 seconds, I worry about setting up online delivery of groceries and I wake up 5 times in the night.

I have masks, bleach wipes and sanitizer in my car.  I went to the gas station with Eli today and paid for his gas because I was afraid he wouldn't use the bleach wipes to clean off the gas pump and keypads and wouldn't sanitize his hands before he got back in the car. I wear a buff when I take the dog for a walk or go for a run.  I cross the street when I am within 100 feet of crossing paths with another dog walker or runner to keep a solid 6 to 600 feet distance.  I race to the door to thank the delivery people.  I got violently mad when I saw a car cut off a FedEX truck yesterday and threw a tantrum when a family was walking 4 wide on the trail and didn't bother to switch to single-file when I came up to them.

It was just announced that we will not be returning to in-person school for the remainder of the year.  It will be 6 months from the time we left campus for the last time in March until we return again in September.  When I heard the news I cried...that last hope of hanging on to the piece of me that is/was teaching was gone.

I guess I have plenty of time to figure out who I am becoming, and who I want to be.

Comments

Popular Posts