All the Solutions

Clearly, this corona crisis and quarantine is inhibiting my ability to think clearly and problem-solve. I've been faced with a few first-world challenges over the past few weeks.  My latest dilemma was how to keep bleach from all these cleaning sessions from ruining my walls and clothes. I'm happy to report I have figured out a solution to this little problem along with some others.
The back story is: I don't have Clorox wipes.  I don't regularly use them so I had none in stock and by the time the corona scare hit Washington the entire state was already cleared out of all wipes that were not organic and essentially useless.  I bought a container of bleach with plans to make my own wipes.  But then I couldn't find paper towels and I realized I needed to get creative real quick.  I did have some germ-killing bleach spray, so I decided to just spray it on those high touch areas.  But then came the issue of the bleach running down my walls if I let it sit for the required 30 seconds.  I was feeling frantic and frazzled until one day logic kicked in and I realized I could soak a rag with the bleach cleaner, wipe it on the surface I was cleaning and then leave it for 30 seconds without it running all over.  I checked with my safety advisor, Matt, and after looking at me like I was a sad little fool, he confirmed that what I was doing was basically the same thing as using a Clorox wipes except I was using a reusable cloth.  Whew!

I also didn't have any hand sanitizer and there was no chance of getting that anytime soon, so I followed CDC guidelines to make my own.  The first batch was a fail because I couldn't find pure aloe vera gel, and 99% alcohol is incredibly painful to wash your hands without the aloe vera.  Finally, I was able to get some aloe vera gel and whip up a wicked batch of sanitizer.  Sorry Purell, but I'll be making my own for the rest of my life.  No more spending $1.50 for 2 ounces of sanitizer!

In the early days of panic shopping, I was faced with the fact that I had 4 rolls of toilet paper which I would consider dangerously low under normal circumstances let alone a hoarding event.  So, I walked down the aisles that used to contain the TP and wondered what will we do if we can't find any toilet paper?  I remembered that during visits to other countries, particularly Greece, we were told we can't flush toilet paper down the toilet.  A small can was provided by the toilet for all the dirty paper.  I know, it seems awful but it is a bathroom, nothing is quite lovely in there anyway.  So, I picked up wipes and facial tissue with the plan that if the TP ran out, we would switch to the Greek model of wiping and tossing the paper in a small trash can that I take out daily.  We haven't come to that but I am confident our plan B will work just fine if it comes to it.

I am down to 4 rolls of paper towels.  Momentarily, I was freaking out, wondering what we will do if we run out?  Easy.  I have a basket full of cloth napkin that can be easily laundered, and I just came across a giant bag of shop towels that were unopened.  Those will come in handy as well.  And, again these options are actually much cheaper and earth-friendly than the number of paper towels we usually use.  In fact, I recently read an article that paper towels account for a ridiculous percentage of waste in landfills.  Now seems like a really good time to change our habits involving paper towel usage.

As far as my issue keeping bleach off my clothes...I am taking off my sweatshirt, putting on an apron and just trying to be careful.

The corona-quarantine has also made my sense of humor a little wonky.  While shopping for a new water heater the other day, I came across this ad and thought it was hilarious.  Who, other than a contractor would buy 3 identical water heaters?? Why not just offer a contractor discount?  and 12% off?  Come on...you can do better than that Home Depot.  If someone commits to buying 3 identical water heaters I feel like it should be "buy 2 get one free". 


Comments

Popular Posts