I work with a student who is fairly smart but struggles with social skills.  Sometimes I think he operates on a loop with regards to social conversations.  He knows these few facts about people and he just keeps bringing them up, over, and over, and over.  Somehow he manages to talk about one thing and sporadically insert these facts or questions about other random things he knows into the conversation.
Every single time I see him he asks me how Eli is doing, he tells me Gabe is sometimes funny, and he asks about my AI car.  When we are together for longer periods of time he asks me about the cruise we went on last winter, how many cruises I have been on, and some other random things.  I think he asks questions he knows the answers to simply because he doesn’t know what else to talk about. He doesn’t only do this with me, he does it with anyone he has a relationship with.  I take him to an internship every week and every single week he goes through a series of comments and questions about the same things with his mentors.  “So your son won 1st in State for cross country, how long did you work on a cruise ship, so your son lives in Hawaii….”  He also has some obsession with making sure he doesn’t break some FCC rules or copyright rules while posting things on social media.  After hours of trying to talk through the legality of his choices I have given up and simply say “if you think it could be bad, then just don’t do it whether it is or not”.
I try to be patient but on the 50th time of him asking me if we are driving my AI car I just lost it.  “Yes.  It is the only car I drive.  It is the only car you have ever been in with me.  I will never drive another car with you.  The car will always be AI”.  To which he responded in his typical way “Oh cool”.  And then promptly asked me “how is Eli doing?”
Sigh.
As frustrated as I am with my own kids at times, especially now, when I sit with some of my students I take a deep breath and thank God for what he has blessed me with.  I am struggling with the choices my kids are making but the reality is, THEY ARE MAKING THESE CHOICES.  It isn’t a situation where they can’t be successful academically because of learning disabilities, where they can’t assimilate with peers because of a lack of social skills or they can’t think clearly or function normally because of some chronic physical or mental condition.  The fact that they are choosing something other than what is best for them for the long haul is hard, but on the other hand, I am thankful that my kids get to make their choices with full understanding and knowledge of what they are doing, not because they really don’t have the capacity.

Comments

Popular Posts