I'm not a huge fan of getting up early, but I do understand the benefits of starting a time consuming or difficult job early.
A few months ago when we painted this abode we had a baseball game in the morning down in Olympia and then drove up to Issaquah.  By the time we started painting it was nearly 4pm and it made for a very long, challenging evening of work.
The next day we got up early, went to breakfast and were painting by 10am.  What a huge difference the start time made!

So my landlord got a nastygram from the HOA because the outside of our house looks like acid peed on the trim, the fence and the deck.  So he has until the end of summer I think to get the house painted and up to The Highlands standard.  I want to feel a little sorry for him because he just bought a fridge, is allegedly replacing the carpet, and now to add house painting on top of that ...$$$$$
But I don't actually feel sorry for him.  Well, I don't feel bad that he has to do these things.  I mean seriously, you can't just buy a neglected house and not expect to drop a few dimes on making it livable.  I feel bad the he was ignorant enough to think that he wasn't going to need to do all these repairs asap.

Anyway.  He is clearly trying to cut some corners in pretty much every aspect with this house.  The carpet is a whopping .50 a square foot.  That should tell you something about how much he cares about quality.  He hired some "contractors" to pressure wash and paint the house.

If you want some free entertainment come on down and check out the operation.

The landlord said that the house would be pressure washed and painted this week.  Start to finish complete in 5 days.  I totally believed him.  That sounds reasonable.  5 full days of work with a team of contractors.
Oh don't be silly our special contractors show sometime between 11:00-12:00 and leave by 4pm.  Who works those hours? First of all, I think even a super professional painter wouldn't expect to get this whole job done in a week only working such few hours each day.  And second, who wants to work at the absolute hottest part of the day?

I won't get into details about the effort being put forth but I will say this, if I was a betting woman I'd place a few hundred dollars on the house needing to be repainted next summer at the latest.  They really don't seem to know what they are doing, they pressure wash here and there in no particular pattern and they haven't even touched anything that is taller than a 10ft ladder.  We live in a 2 story house with 10 ceilings on the first floor.

Just another day here at the house of pee and moss.



Comments

Allison said…
I'd like to continue your rant on contractors. For the past two months we've had a contractor renovating a home. Instead of a sweet door-to-door move over a week or two, enabling plenty of time to clean out the old house and get the new one set up, I'll be living in a basement with kids until the kitchen gets finished, enabling them to finish the drying process on the hardwood floors. Husband is away for training that week I'm stuck in the basement, naturally. This is the absolute busiest time of year for both him and I without a move, except now we'll be loading everything into a basement and drawing out what should be an easy move into a month-long of agony. And I still have 2,500sqft to somehow paint and remove wallpaper but I can't even walk on the floors? Why? Because in June, they never showed up before 11am. DO THEY HAVE ANY IDEA HOW MUCH ONE CAN ACCOMPLISH BETWEEN THE HOURS OF 7 AND 11AM?

Popular Posts