Ohhhh Canada....

Yesterday Matt and I had a 9 hour date.
I kept track of how many hours it was because it was simply awesome to spend the whole evening on a date with my awesome hubby.....and because I had to pay a babysitter at the end of the night.
The date was quintessentially "us".
We spent an hour in traffic talking about what we hope for in the next chapter of our life (life after the army), grabbed tacos at a taco truck in SoDo (and I didn't get food poisoning) and then headed to a local pub to hang out with a few hundred other fans getting ready to go to the Sounders match.
We decided to grab a beer before heading in to the stadium.  Since I'm so youthful, upon ordering a beer, the bartender asked to see my ID (ok so she was asking for everyone's).  I handed her my Military ID card.  On one side is my picture and all sorts of information about Matt's branch of service, rank, and my relationship to him, and on the back is my date of birth, fake weight and other description information.
The bartender studied the card, looked up at me, looked back at my ID and then asked me "are you Canadian?"
Holy cow!  How in the world did she guess that?  I mean, my dad was born in Canada and his dad was born, raised and died in Canada but I never imagined that my very thin Canadian blood line would be so obvious.  I barely spoke to her but surely I didn't have a French or Northern accent and never once did I say "eh?"  I was shocked.
So I answered "yes I am part Canadian.  How did you know?"
She replied "well your ID says you have a sponsor I figured you must be Canadian"

Oh dear........

I started to try to explain to her that Matt is in the Army and therefore the "sponsor" of my benefits but it seemed a little too confusing for her and a line was forming behind me so I decided to just let this one go.  As long as sponsored Canadians were allowed to get beer, I suppose it doesn't really matter what it means.
I suppose "sponsor" has a very different meaning in the lives of a military family eh?

Comments

Rachael said…
Ha! Pretty funny! As a side note, had no idea you had so much Canadian blood in you...!

Popular Posts