I share a birth month with a very dear friend of mine.  In honor of her birthday in a few days, I feel compelled to write about her here.

Allison.

When I first met her, I absolutely didn't "get" her.  While she didn't rub me wrong, I also didn't get an overwhelming vibe that I had just met someone who needed to be in my life for the long haul.  She was mysterious and my friend-radar was confused.  I remember talking to another friend about not really knowing how to read Allison.  My friend claimed that the most likely explanation for my first impressions of Allison was that "she is from Texas."  Seriously, one of the funniest behavioral explanations that I have heard.  Anyway, I assumed we would be friendly neighbors, but probably not friends.

Years have gone by since I first met her while we were walking home to our apartments on Jackson Street following a bible study.  We are no longer neighbors, but most definitely friends.  We were divinely placed into a bible study group together and that set the stage for me to get to know this amazing woman and for her to add so much wisdom, inspiration, encouragement, laughter, and adventure to my life.

Allison is genuine.  She doesn't hide how she feels, she listens, she has something really important to say when she speaks, she laughs, she lives minimally, loves deeply, and prays faithfully.  She is probably the most flexible, easygoing person I have ever met it my life.  She is one of those Army wives who hits the ground running....she doesn't have a "getting settled" period she just goes, embraces, finds her place and brings others along with her.

Al does it all.  She wakes up early, has her coffee and and spends some time on a devotion, she makes some gourmet, healthy, breakfast for her three little girls, then sews a friend a skirt, runs 10 or so miles, meets friends in the park so the kids can play, home-schools the kids, prepares dinner and makes a few extra meals to give to those in need, and makes sure that is all taken care of in time to whip up lunch.  All the while she is smiling.  The kids argue or lose a shoe or require a princess wand to fix a boo-boo and Allison takes it all in stride.  If she is frustrated, nobody would know it.  She keeps her cool, her voice is calm, she does not unravel easily.

Maybe that isn't her everyday routine, somedays she may skip making the skirt and go straight to the run or a few hours doing yoga on a SUP.

She is fashionable and frugal, she has fine taste but also enjoys simplicity.
She is wise, so very wise.
She is up for adventure.
Allison is talented and beautiful and joy flows from her.
Those who know Allison, love her, and are blessed to have her in their life.
I am blessed to call her friend.


Sometimes the people who come to mean the most to you, the ones who you learn the most from, and laugh the hardest with are the ones that are the most unexpected.  I mean really, a chic from Texas?  Who would have thought?  God did.  I love that each of my friends are so unique in their personalities, talents and passions and they each bring a new twist to my life.

Allison Happy Birthday.  Praying that your day, and this coming year are blessed, filled with joy and love and adventure!





Comments

Allison said…
Oh my goodness!! What an honor to be on the best blog ever.

(I'm not sure what vibe I'm sending out, but the person you just described sounds awesome!!!! I want to be her!)
Rachael said…
So sweet! Now I want to be her friend!

Popular Posts