Prayer Changes a Nation?

I read this article today and thought it was simply awesome and inspiring.

There are often times that I look at our country and simply shake my head.  I wonder what will become of this Nation? What will America be when my kids are my age?
It is easy to be disheartened, it is easy to give up and say "well there she goes".  But that may not be God's plan for our country.
Germany marked the 25th anniversary of the Wall coming down this weekend.  What a huge event in the lives of so many Germans and a major turning point in our world!
On June 12, 1987 then President Ronald Reagan called out Mikhail Gorbachev, the Deputy Secretary of the Communist Party of the USSR, in his famous speech in Berlin.  Reagan emfatically commanded Gorbachev to "tear down this wall!"  While the speech may have had some impact, it wasn't until two years later on November 9, 1989 that the wall fell.  I have seen a 30 second clip of Reagan's speech numerous times and I often associate the fall falling with Reagan's bold demands.  While I realize much more was going on than a well delivered speech by a famous American, I never knew this little piece of history:

How prayers helped end the Cold War

I was lucky enough to visit Berlin twice while we were stationed in Germany and also a few towns located in the former German Democratic Republic (East Germany).  I visited many of the infamous sites related to WW2 and the Cold War, I walked along the lines where the Wall formerly stood and tried to envision life on the Eastern side of Berlin.  I wish I would have learned a little about the St Nicholas church in Leipzig earlier ....that would have been I would have loved to visit!

If prayer can bring down the Wall, the Soviet Union, put an end to the Cold War and eventually reunite Germany..... do not lose hope in what prayer can do here in America.

Daniel's prayer (Daniel 2:20-22) 

Praise be to the name of God for ever and ever;
wisdom and power are his.
He changes times and seasons;
he deposes kings and raises up others.
He gives wisdom to the wise
and knowledge to the discerning.
He reveals deep and hidden things;
he knows what lies in darkness,
and light dwells with him.

Comments

Rachael said…
What a great article. Love to get a glimpse of the church at it's best. Thanks for sharing.

Popular Posts