One Foot in Front of the Other

Walking.
It is a simple act that I typically take for granted.
For some reason over the past few weeks I have noticed people for whom walking is no easy task.
There was a guy in the airport who had some form of disability that kept his knees bent.  He was walking from the security screening area toward his gate.  While most others were fluidly moving through the halls of the airport this man was bouncing up and down, the power that was required to move his feet, one in front of the other was far greater than that required for me to move my own.  I paused and thought about how much more difficult his life must be, at least with regards to getting from point a to b, that it is for me or most of the people I know.
Then there was an older woman in the parking lot, moving slowly to her car.  She shuffled along with the help of a walker.  At some point I am sure she could walk briskly or even run, but time or injury left its mark and now moving was slow and steady.
There was the really large lady who seriously was weightlifting 100 pounds each time she lifted a leg, the person with the turned in foot, the window clerk at the post office...
It is the people who are walking with difficulty, rather than using a wheel chair or hover-round, are the ones that have struck me.  Every time I go out I notice someone who is moving with great effort.
Why?
I don't know.  What is the message?  Why am I suddenly heart broken for people who can't walk with ease?
I have no idea.
This post would be awesome if I had some great conclusion, but I don't.
I prayed for each one as I saw them, maybe that is the point.
I vowed to walk as much, as far, and as strong as I can as long as I can.
I thank the Lord that walking is one of my easier tasks that I accomplish each day.  Maybe I can't paint the fence (ahem) or stuff a duvet into the duvet cover but I can walk and that is one less thing I have to even think about.


Comments

Popular Posts