So We Went on Vacation

Follow closely, this is about to get interesting.
Some people I visited this summer.

Visited Mika in Colorado Springs, originally met at a company hail and farewell in Clarksville, Tn 12 years ago.
Angela also in Colorado Springs, originally met in the laundry room of our stairwell in Germany, 5 years ago.
Matti in Wyoming, they live in Virginia, originally met in Virginia 8 years ago at a church softball game.
Swanies in Wyoming, they live in New Mexico, originally met in Virginia 9 years ago at MOPS.
Parents and sister, in Citrus heights, originally met at the hospital 37+ years ago.
Darlene, in Florida, lives in Georgia, originally met walking our boys to school in Germany 5 years ago.
Allison, in Florida, lives in South Carolina, originally met at PWOC in Germany 5 years ago, walked home to discover we were neighbors.
Kim, in Florida, lives in Tennessee, originally met in Germany when she passed by my door on her way down from Angela's house (see above) and realized our husbands worked together.
Angela, bonus visit in Florida, see above.

When Matt and I were married and living off on our own in Hawaii, I told him I doubted we would ever go to a wedding or share in the births of our friend's kids.  I just couldn't imagine meeting someone and becoming close enough to share special life events with them.
Was I ever wrong.

I was at Mika's wedding and kissed her daughter's forehead on the day she was born, I celebrated birthdays with the Matti and sat with them through Sam's mom's funeral, I helped the Swanies move 600 times, visited babies at the hospital and travelled a few thousand miles to visit them and the Matti in Virginia while we lived in Germany.  My family vacationed with Angela's a few times in Europe.
I've met these people's parents and siblings, I've been there to celebrate and cry, I've shared my greatest joys and my darkest hours with these people.

How foolish was I to believe that leaving "home" meant saying farewell to close ties?
I'm overwhelmingly blessed by each person I have met as Matt's job moved us all over the world, and so thankful for the opportunity to travel to meet up with all of these people this summer.



Comments

Rachael said…
Wow. So cool. How great to look back on the last decade or so and see how God has truly been directing your steps. You, also, do a great of staying connected. Honored to be a part of this list.

Popular Posts