There is a scene from the movie Toy Story where Mr. Potato Head is preparing to leave Andy's room and head out on the mission to rescue Andy and Buzz Lightyear.  Ms. Potato Head is there with Mr. Potato head and she is loading up his rear hatch with everything she can thing of that he might need on his mission.  Angry eyes, extra shoes an body parts, and I think plastic monkeys were in there too. He is ready to go, he wants to leave and yet here Ms. Potato is saying her "I love yous".


I am Ms. Potato Head!  As I walked through a few different grocery stores this past week and grabbed some last minute items at Target and Walmart I was tempted to fill my cart with a hundred things to pack for Matt.  
His favorite energy drink, air freshener for his room, a little broom and dust pan, cozy blanket, slippers, sunblock.... 
If he didn't have limited packing space I would have purchased everything I saw that I know he would like, so that he wouldn't have to be in any amount of discomfort or lacking anything.  Because that is what I do, I show him I love him by meeting needs that he may not even know he has!  I think of things he doesn't, that's what makes us work so well together.
I resisted the urge to purchase those items, and with each item I saw that I knew he would miss, I felt a little twinge in my heart.
The bags are all packed to the point of near explosion.  Nothing can be added.
We've had last meals, enjoyed all his favorites, went to the movies, had game night, movie night, made homemake chocolate chip cookies and ate them straight out of the oven, we took a family getaway, had a date night, we've snuggled, shared our darkest fears, laughed to the point of tears, made sure business matters were taken care of and talked about dreams for the future.  Nothing more needs to be said...but goodbye.

Comments

Allison said…
Thinking of you all.
Unknown said…
You are so very strong. Tears in my eyes as I read this. Please know that we will be praying for Matt's safety and for you and the boys in his absence.

Popular Posts