Giving is Getting

I don't think I have ever really blown Matt away with a gift before.  Until this weekend.
He always guesses what he is getting or he is too darn difficult to shop for and ends up getting gift cards or cash.  But not this time!
Matt's best friend reminded me that Matt would like golf clubs.
Man!  Why didn't I think of that on my own?  I know this.  I just somehow let it slip my mind.
So, I go to Costco and don't ya know they have a set of good beginner golf clubs and a golf bag.  I was able to pick up a tri-tip, pirate's booty, a golf bag and clubs all in one place!  Love it.
So I brought them home, wrapped it up, hid it all under the guest bed and left it there until Friday night.
Friday he took his last final so I had grand plans of an ice cream cake, balloons and his gift.  But then he didn't come home until 1am with his dad so around 10pm I had to stash everything away again until Saturday morning.
The golf stuff was in the living room with balloons and all the appropriate decor.  I called Matt in and his face lit up instantly.
Apparently, he knows what a box of golf clubs look like.
He opened the box and saw the brand and quality of the clubs (we're not talking fancy here but they also were not a walmart special) and he was pretty floored.
As luck would have it, he had a tee time with his dad that day.  Instead of renting clubs he was able to load up his new clubs and head to the links.
Finally, I got to have the blessing of just blowing his mind with a gift that he has wanted for years and just never took the leap to purchase.
The greatest joy for me this weekend was watching Matt so incredibly happy not just with his new clubs, but spending time with his boys, his dad, and doing things he loves like golfing and bowling, watching hours and hours of sports on tv with a man buddy to enjoy it with, eating sushi and heading to a baseball game.
Sometimes getting is fabulous, but other times giving is the best "gift" ever.

Comments

Popular Posts