Ode to Technology

Tonight I started a Facebook group chat and invited 10 people.
I intended to invite these 10 people to an event next month and maybe get some responses such as "I'm in" or "I'll bring the pie".
What I got....was a whole lot more!
Over 600 messages and 2:45 minutes later we all said goodnight.
We were not all online at the same time or the whole time, but throughout the night everyone popped on and off multiple times reading and commenting as their schedule allowed.
I'm pretty sure I speak for almost all of us, it was a rather fun way to spend an evening!

People often bash technology, talking about how people turn their focus inward instead of enjoying the people around them.  I agree.  It often does.
But sometimes it draws you closer and makes you forget that miles and miles separate you.
You find yourself laughing as if you are in the same room as those people you are texting or messaging.
You find yourself smiling as you sit alone with your phone, or computer.
It is those moments that you are using technology the way it should be used: to shrink the distance between people.

Times like tonight that I'm so thankful for my hand-held computer and the opportunity it provides me to connect to the people that I love so much.

Comments

Popular Posts