"Uh............"

Yesterday during my victorious visit to the Legal office I was asked a list of fairly easy questions:
Name: no problem I nailed this one.
Social: check
Children's Names: on it
Children's Date of Birth: easy peasy
Guardian: Blam
Address of yourself and guardian: kachow
State of legal residency: uh.............

I was speechless. Matt is still a resident of California. However, I have always become a resident of the state we were living in with the exception of Alabama and Tennessee - I have standards.
I haven't lived in California in forever, and since I'm not the one in the military the military clause doesn't exactly apply to me. I'm not a resident of Virginia anymore either because, although the great Commonwealth of Virginia holds a piece of my heart, they don't seem to want to claim me as a resident.
I'm an alien.
Since Virginia was so kind to grant me a waiver authorizing me to carry a Virginia license although I don't reside there, I decided I would go with Virginia.
After a long pause and quizzical look on my face, I replied "Virginia".
But, my answer sounded more like a question and the clerk looked at me suspiciously.
"Yep final answer, Virginia" based on the license thing and the fact that I'm deathly afraid of claiming California residency for the California State Tax Franchise Board will start knocking on my door requesting a whole bunch of money.
I need to get a clearer understanding of this residency thing before elections!

Comments

Shanna said…
Hey...what's wrong with Alabama???? Okay, actually, I was born in GA. We moved around a bit and then settled in AL....but NOT Rucker!!! I hated that place to. I also learned why people have the AL jokes when we moved to Rucker. The people there are from a different bread. After years, I finally got the jokes!

Popular Posts