Unbroken Song

It is a week before Christmas and all through the flat
Christmas songs are blaring so loud you can't chat!
I want to throw out one more Christmas song, or in this case album, that I find particularly lovely.
Christopher Williams is an indie Christian singer/songwriter that performed a few times at our church in Virginia. I simply love his entire album Unbroken Song. If I had the money I would buy every last one of my readers a cd. It is pretty special! His version of Drummer Boy is fabulous, definitely my favorite of that song, and every other song on the album is stinkin' good to. If I had to pick just one that makes my heart pitter patter it would be this old German carol Es Ist Ein Ros Entsprungen (Lo, How a Rose E'er Blooming). Williams doesn't sing all the verses of the traditional carol but I've listed them here, because quite frankly, you need all the verses to get the whole story!


Lo, how a Rose e’er blooming from tender stem hath sprung,
of Jesse’s lineage coming, as men of old have sung.
It came, a flow’ret bright, amid the cold of winter,
when half-spent was the night.

Isaiah ’twas foretold it, the Rose I have in mind;
With Mary we behold it, the virgin mother kind.
To show God’s love aright, she bore to men a Savior,
when half-spent was the night.

The shepherds heard the story, proclaimed by angels bright,
how Christ, the Lord of glory, was born on earth this night.
To Bethlehem they sped and in the manger found him,
as angel heralds said.

This flow’r, whose fragrance tender with sweetness fills the air,
dispels with glorious splendor the darkness ev’rywhere.
True man, yet very God; from sin and death he saves us
and lightens ev’ry load.

O Savior, child of Mary, who felt our human woe;
O Savior, King of glory, who dost our weakness know,
bring us at length, we pray, to the bright courts of heaven
and to the endless day.

Comments

Rachael said…
That is definitely one of my favorite christmas albums as well . . . you are going to be jealous to know he was back last Sunday playing little drummer boy- there is truly no better rendition!

I will admit I did not particularly notice the Lo, how a rose . . . song before but am enjoying it at the moment knowing it brings you so much joy! (had no idea it was a German Carol- you are just a wealth of information!)
mrscotis said…
Ok, I have to say. We went caroling last night and we had these song books, I was flipping through the pages and came across that rose song. I said " are you kidding me "? I am anxious to hear it. I am sure it will be better heard then us singing it. Just sayin'

Popular Posts