Even If...

A few nights ago Matt and I were having a deep philosophical conversation. I'm sure that seems shocking considering the antics we are usually up to, but I can assure you every once in a while we get serious. Although I can't prove that this conversation took place, I just ask you to trust me on this one.
Matt and I were talking about faith and the role that it plays in our daily lives and through difficult situations. We believe that God can protect us from harm and living in fear of something bad happening to us or our family is essentially choosing not to have faith. Worry and stress over situations that we cannot control is actively choosing not to believe that God has every aspect of our lives in his hands.
Matt summed it up well with a reference to the three men in the fiery furnace. He said "and then, just like Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, 'if God chooses not to save us then so be it'." That is not an officially approved translation but it gets to the point.
In Daniel 3:16-18 Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego were standing before the king to account for their actions of not worshiping idols. They said to the king "O Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you in this matter. If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us from it, and he will rescue us from your hand, O king. But even if he does not, we want you to know, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up."
Now that is faith. The three amigos knew God could save them but they also knew that God gets to decide if He wants to or not. They knew that God may choose not to save them from a fiery death but they were still willing to stand before the King and denounce his idols. They said "fine throw us in the furnace, God can save us...but even if he doesn't, he will use us to his glory. The bible is full of stories where bad things happened to people who had faith in God, there are also stories where God intervened and performed miracles.
Faith in God is about knowing in my heart that he can spare me from pain, deliver me from trials, heal my body, my mind, and my heart but even if he doesn't he is still God, he still loves me and I will still worship him.

Comments

mrscotis said…
Beautifully said!!

Popular Posts