Vocabulary Homework

At the beginning of each week Eli is given a set of vocabulary and spelling words. His homework assignment includes writing sentences for each word. Below is a sample of his work this week. I've typed the spelling word in bold.
"I'll toot in your face."
"Should I push Jere off the cliff? Yes!"
"I will put my homework in lava."
"You are the best teacher Ms. Rollins."
"If I could I would not go to school."

Not exactly stellar work from my underachieving 2nd grader. Matt defended Eli, claiming that "toot" shouldn't be a vocabulary or spelling word in the first place. I think the angry sentences derive from Eli's frustration with having double work this week, since he missed school last week, but I still deem them unacceptable. In Eli's absence Matt and I laughed at his creativity but back in the school room, I put on my serious face and chided him for his work.
This is why I double check his homework before he turns it in!

Comments

Oh how this makes me laugh outloud. But only for a moment, because I am sure my turn is coming soon with Maddy.

And I have to agree with Matt- toot? What are they thinking???

Popular Posts