Henri-Chapelle American Cemetery

On our way up to Holland we took a little side-trip though Belgium to go to the Henri-Chapelle American Cemetery.
Over 7000 U.S. soldiers are buried in this cemetery in a little village in South Eastern Belgium. These 7000 soldiers gave their lives on foreign soil to protect the interests of America and our European Allies and never returned home. There are 19 other similar cemeteries in Europe and 3 others in the world that are the final resting place for U.S. soldiers who fought in World War I and II.
For some reason the fact that these soldiers never returned home really moved me. I felt sad that they were not laid to rest on US soil, and that nestled in this little village in Belgium they don't receive the flow of visitors that pass through places like Arlington. I felt like I needed pay my respects to them since many of their family member's may have not had the opportunity. I felt compelled to walk along the crosses and to let them know that they are not forgotten, but honored and appreciated. I was also reminded of the deadly battles that took place here in Europe, the blood that was shed, the cities that were destroyed and the families that were shattered.
Today, I remember those laid to rest on American soil and abroad. I remember those who died fighting for freedom and those who died training to fight. I remember the air crews of 709 and 710 of the 2-25th Avn Regt Wheeler AAF, Hawaii, 431 B. Co 5-101st Fort Campbell, KY and 621 G. Co 1-214th - members of our aviation family who gave their lives.


Comments

Popular Posts